UWCL Qualifying tournament - City OUT - lost 1-0 to Real Madrid

Apols for the ignorance, but how does the competition work? Is there a group stage at some point or is it knockout throughout?
It's a lot more complicated than it should be but that's UEFA for you. To actually qualify for the Group Stage proper we'll have to win another 2 matches. This game was basically a semi-final for Qualifying Round 1. The Q1 final is played on Sunday against the other winning team from our group who are Real Madrid (beat Sturm Graz 6-0). The winners of that match then go onto Qualifying Round 2 to be played over 2 legs in the last two weeks of September.

If you want to try and see who's where then check out the following link:

2022-2023 Qualifying wiki

IIRC it's still "qualifying" atm. There are 15 4-team knockout tournaments going on around the continent.

Winners get added in with the other 9 teams that are already in round 2, all play a knockout round.

12 winners get added in with Chelsea Wolfsburg, Lyon and Barca and those 16 become the actual "Champions League". This is 4 groups of 4 playing the same format the men do with the UCL with half the teams.
Cheers for explaining that.
So nice & straightforwards then ;-)

It's a lot more complicated than it should be but that's UEFA for you. To actually qualify for the Group Stage proper we'll have to win another 2 matches. This game was basically a semi-final for Qualifying Round 1. The Q1 final is played on Sunday against the other winning team from our group who are Real Madrid (beat Sturm Graz 6-0). The winners of that match then go onto Qualifying Round 2 to be played over 2 legs in the last two weeks of September.

If you want to try and see who's where then check out the following link:

2022-2023 Qualifying wiki
Thanks pal; I’m genuinely grateful for these replies as I’d be at a loss otherwise!

I see we have been well and truly stitched up with the draw. 56 teams playing on Sunday, most of whom you've never heard of from Europes far corners, to qualify for the group stage. Having been drawn against Real Madrid and knocked out at this stage last year by a single goal margin we have somehow managed to draw them again this time with Caroline Weir in their ranks and its a one leg winner goes through played at the same stadium we played at tonight, Campo 11 in Madrid, seems fair. Whose the ref Sunday, Tebas?
Let's hope we can return the favour this year.
Seems le Arse and Chelsea conveniently get a bye straight to the group stage.
Won't be easy. Hope the girls are up for it.

I see we have been well and truly stitched up with the draw. 56 teams playing on Sunday, most of whom you've never heard of from Europes far corners, to qualify for the group stage. Having been drawn against Real Madrid and knocked out at this stage last year by a single goal margin we have somehow managed to draw them again this time with Caroline Weir in their ranks and its a one leg winner goes through played at the same stadium we played at tonight, Campo 11 in Madrid, seems fair. Whose the ref Sunday, Tebas?
Let's hope we can return the favour this year.
Seems le Arse and Chelsea conveniently get a bye straight to the group stage.
Won't be easy. Hope the girls are up for it.
Arsenal enter the competition in Qulifying Round 2 and Chelsea (as League Champions) go straight through to the Group Stage.

As far as watching it, the smart tv app was useless and didn't run it so just casted from my phone to TV.

Seems a little off that we play a 1 leg play off v Madrid at theirs. Should have been at a neutral ground

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.