Van - cent Kompany?

tolmie's hairdoo

C'mon, which is it?

Have all-knowing TV commentators simply now credited our defensive Rolls Royce with an accent on his forename?

Or do we really have to accept, instead of Vinny, we have a right 'Vanny' for a Player of the Year?

Cultural linguists of Blue Moon unite, provide clarification.

Usage: English, French, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Slovak
Pronounced: VIN-sənt (English), ven-SAWN (French)

Vincent \v(i)-nce-nt, vin-cent\ as a boy's name is pronounced VIN-sent. It is of Latin origin, and the meaning of Vincent is "prevailing". From Vincentius. The name ultimately derives from Latin "vincere", meaning "to conquer".

tolmie's hairdoo said:
C'mon, which is it?

Have all-knowing TV commentators simply now credited our defensive Rolls Royce with an accent on his forename?

Or do we really have to accept, instead of Vinny, we have a right 'Vanny' for a Player of the Year?

Cultural linguists of Blue Moon unite, provide clarification.

Moral and cultural minefield this one.

Anyone from Manchester who calls PAris "Paree" would deserve a kicking. I heard someone recently pronounce paella "pie - ay - ya" and I wanted to rip his lungs out. I've heard Chorizo pronounced as "chori-tho" too and wanted to vomit.

Yet I've noticed out fans have adopted "There's only one Da-vid( not Dayvid) Silva.

I'd say it would be far too soft and puffy to pronouce Vincent any differently. But was fine to call Distin "Distan". I'd say these go on a case by case basis and most people know instinctively what's right.

I disagree with the above. I don't necessarily mind adopting the foreign pronunciation, but all I ask for is consistency across the board.

If it's Vincent Kompany, it's Nicolas Anelka. If it's Van-son, it's Nicolah. etc.

The whole bloody thing is a minefield. I get really annoyed that we have to call Peking "Beijing". Or Bombay "Mumbai" WTF is all that about? Why can we not call it Peking or Bombay if we want to?

I don't hear the French being under any pressure to call London London, instead of "Londres". We seem to be OK calling Torino "Turin", Koln "Cologne", Paris (Parriss) not Parree.

It's boody Vin Sunt !

I think there's more of a culture in England of Anglicising French words than those of other languages, due to our linguistic history of obtaining the majority of our vocabulary from Anglicising French words.

We have historically had greater exposure to French (as it was spoken over here as the official tongue for many years), therefore we are more used to adapting its words into our own.

This is less so with Spainsh and Italian (for example), so we are more likely to use the Spainsh or Italian accents when adapting words from those sources.

That's my theory anyway.

So he's Vincent to us (rather than Van-sant, as he woiuld be to his family), whereas David Silva sticks with his Spanish inflection, rather than Dayvid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.