Var debate 2019/20

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by Chi-town blues, 17 Apr 2019.

1. Colin Bells Boots

Colin Bells Boots

It is not unusual for a Liverpool fan to be complaining about " double standards " which confirms the hypocrisy in their argument.

karen7 likes this.
  2. BlueHammer85

BlueHammer85

Good post bud and respectful - couple points, hate to agree with Copper .. that was a foul on Mahrez and correct to award a penalty but had this been for another team then many would shout corruption as how easy he went down.

secondly, agree with the official laws for handball and offside - i get they made them for simplicity but it's made it worse and more fans angry, they will correct this for next season - VAR is new, it has to be trial and error and laws of the game has always changed - if they changed the laws on accidental handballs and adjusted the offside law so that an armpit doesn't count as offside, then VAR would be far less controversial

3. danielwood5

danielwood5

I thought Mane had his knee touched from behind, took a couple of steps then crumpled to the floor? I thought it was at least 'soft' at the time as it didnt impede his forward movement and that set the precedent for the rest of the season, hence Mahrez going over. I only say it was a clear penalty as earlier in the season we had a penalty disallowed against Brighton when Silva had his foot stood on by a defender at the side of him while running through the box (not turning with a defender behind him like Mane) and the head of VAR said this was one of four mistakes that VAR got wrong at the start of the season. I think Mahrez dived here too btw, the stamp wasn't enough to make him go over but as the pundits are fond of saying to explain away your players behaviour over the last decade 'he's felt contact so he's entitled to go down'.

the talisman likes this.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

There certainly are opinions coloured with allegiance, a good comparison would be Mahrez (foot stood on, VAR gives pen) and Silva earlier in the season (foot stood on, VAR doesn't give penalty).

I'd suggest that the VAR interpretation of offside is the problem, not the offside law. The problem is the widespread belief that VAR can't be absolutely certain due to framerate, and maybe angle. I'd make VAR have a margin of error on offside (something like "within a foot is ok"), although that could be fudged as well.

5. the-ecstacy-of-eight

the-ecstacy-of-eight

I'm sorry, but that is just nonsense. Mane vs Leicester had nothing to do with his feet. He didn't have his foot stood on. He had a knee placed next to his calf. Watch the replay....

...he felt contact and theatrically threw his arms up and "bought one"

6. Copper

Copper

Team supported:
    Liverpool
    Mane's foot was definitely stood on, you can see it in this image (ignore the silly red circle)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cDimfG0HHAo/maxresdefault.jpg

People were focusing on the kick to the back of the leg (like the red circle is pointing to), and missed the fact that his foot actually got stood on, which you can clearly see in the image.

Mane, like Mahrez, felt this contact and went down. I know you said you feel that both are technically dives, and technically, you are right, but it is a grey area, because unless you go down, the chances are you won't get it. In a competitive sport, where every point matters, there is no wonder that the majority of players go down once they feel they've been fouled in the box. Mane does it, Salah does it, Mahrez and Sterling do it, Rashford does it, virtually all forwards do it, to be honest. Kane is an expert at it. Having said that, I have to give credit to Aguero for being one of the only players who seems to never do it from what I can remember.

The Silva one was a joke and was definitely a penalty as well.

7. Copper

Copper

Team supported:
    Liverpool
    I mean, you can literally see his foot being stood on in that video? I am not sure what I am supposed to say? It's quite clear in the video, lol... you can see Albrighton pull it away as soon as he's realised he's done it too.

Edit: I really don't understand how anyone can watch this video and say his foot wasn't stood on. It's pretty frustrating trying to have a debate with people who are purposely turning a blind eye to what is very easy to see.

8. MillionMilesAway

MillionMilesAway

An obvious bad decision that Liverpool have benefitted from this season (excluding the City match for simplicity) was van Dijk's charge in the back of Calvert-Lewin (I think), in the derby. That looked to be a clear foul, but wasn't given.

My recollection (which may be faulty) was it was inside the area (certainly close), and there was no attempt to play the ball which makes it a red card opportunity.

9. danielwood5

danielwood5

That's how I remembered it, he felt a little contact from behind took a step then threw himself over. Can't see his foot being stood on there at all, just the normal jostling on the box that we used to get week in week out.

10. Copper

Copper

Team supported:
    Liverpool
    I agree with this, I was very very surprised nothing was given for this one. That's definitely a decision that we benefited from. I feel Robertson could easily be sent off in that game as well, if I am remembering correctly.