Var debate 2019/20

But it will at least put pressure on for the game to restart. I was at the game so not sure on exact timings but it must have been two minutes before they disallowed the goal which is a long time for them to scrutinise every element of the footage for a reason to disallow the goal.

They will take as long as they like.

What the players do, is irrelevant. The time taken was probably due to the fact the decision was a joke.

City and Pep wanted this. Naive is being kind to them.
Many on here wanted it as well!
In typical bureaucratic fashion, what the authorities have managed to do is to take a fairly simple concept and ruin it with over zealousness.
Kyle Walker being 6 yards offside for Spurs, VAR is supposed to spot. Sterling last week? Don’t think so. Thierry Henry handball for France, VAR is supposed to spot that as well. The Wolves goal last week and Jesus yesterday (Llorente in the quarter final, for that matter)? Don’t think it’s for that either.
Also, if it takes longer than 10-20 seconds it cannot, by definition, be clear and obvious so benefit of the doubt should stay on the pitch. Referees call, if you like. As the life blood of the game is goals, a system that appears to be trying to find any reason at all to disallow them seems to have somewhat missed the point.

one question that springs to mind with this new hand ball rule is that if an attacking player kicks/flicks the ball at an opponents hand in the penalty area and it hits the opponents hand, will it be given as a penalty? the new rule states that accidental or deliberate handball is no different....or is that only where it leads to a goal? would this be deemed a unsportsman like behaviour and a yellow card for the attacker?

I may have blue tinted glasses on here but watching other games yesterday and last weekend, I never felt that VAR was going to be used .It was there in the background to be used if an incident happened but in our two games I knew that VAR would be used ,just knew . I reckon VAR will not show up in the chelsea game later.

Possibly. My understanding was always that if it falls to a teammate who then scores, that still counts. It's the reason Boly's was disallowed last week.

In this case, it fell to Jesus, who took a couple of touches and scored. There isn't anything specific about creating an opportunity, so it's not unreasonable to view that it did.
That was the understanding I had too but the actual laws of the game seem to say something different, the way they are written the laws are actually OK for use with VAR as they'd stop goals where the ball has been controlled by the hand but one's like ours yesterday, or the Wolves game the week before, would be OK as at no point was the ball being controlled by the player who's arm it has hit. This seems fairer to me than just saying any kind of contact, no matter how minimal or unintended, means a goal is disallowed. It means the grey area of working out if a player controlled the ball with their hand accidentally or deliberately is removed but accidental contact with no element of control is allowed.
It feels like referees are using the dumbed down newspaper/pundit version of the rules like they do with 'he's the last man so he's got to go' or 'he's off the ground so it has to be a red card' neither of which are actual laws of the game.

I agree entirely, the issue is in the heat of the moment you think what is the point! ? Why bother going when all they are going to do is shaft us to try and make the PL more competitive. I thought Oliver had an agenda yesterday from the off. He had a word with spurs players from the off then carded Raheem on a fist minor infringement. Then immediately after just called a foul by a much more cynical foul by a spurs player. He was awful yesterday and I think he knew it was pretty blatant. So far we've had two legit goals chalked off and a penalty appeal not even looked at. VAR isn't being used correctly.

Should be jailed for that not just a yellow, think of the children!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.