Var debate 2019/20

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, I go for mostly incompetence, mixed in with a cocktail of deep psychological bias, a desire for attention and devastatingly bad luck. What makes it even more exasperating for me is, the rules have been changed because of our major injustice AGAIN, and will be again however, we will never get our QFCL victory, or points we deserved, back. Astoundingly baffling how this type of scenario has recurred. I'll stop here because my thoughts are leading me toward conspiracy theories again. Very, very bizarre!

The problem is that VAR is an attempt to address the inability / incompetence of officials in decision making on the fine marginal decisions that occur in the game. However good the technology you still have these same flawed human beings watching the footage and making the final decision. The application of rules is still down to the same clowns, albeit they get the opportunity to make a more considered decision.

4 VAR decisions against us incorrect so far. 0 in our favour.
1. @Spurs CL A - Son goal Armpit++ offside - yet a goal given.
2. @Spurs CL H - Ball hit Spurs players hand at corner prior to goal - yet a goal was given even though CL games playing to new rules.
3. @West Ham A - Silva pass judged 5 frames after ball contact so Sterling offside by an armpit prior to Jesus goal.
4. @Spurs H - Lamela has arm wrapped around Rodri's neck. Possible pen not referred by ref to VAR.
I don't think UEFA are on the same page with VAR - just look at the final chelsea pen last week where the dipper keeper was off his line.

Just listened to SS, I agree the match going experience has been denigrated. (Btw, soz guys but I'm an armchair warrior these days).

4 VAR decisions against us incorrect so far. 0 in our favour.
1. @Spurs CL A - Son goal Armpit++ offside - yet a goal given.
2. @Spurs CL H - Ball hit Spurs players hand at corner prior to goal - yet a goal was given even though CL games playing to new rules.
3. @West Ham A - Silva pass judged 5 frames after ball contact so Sterling offside by an armpit prior to Jesus goal.
4. @Spurs H - Lamela has arm wrapped around Rodri's neck. Possible pen not referred by ref to VAR.

What about the Aguero penalty against Spurs and the retake of the penalty against West Ham?

The problem is that VAR is an attempt to address the inability / incompetence of officials in decision making on the fine marginal decisions that occur in the game. However good the technology you still have these same flawed human beings watching the footage and making the final decision. The application of rules is still down to the same clowns, albeit they get the opportunity to make a more considered decision.
I think this emotive language, used by everyone connected with the game, is what’s got us where we are. You are 100% correct to ascribe flawed to human and, if we could all only accept that, VAR wouldn’t have been given the time of day. Did Bernardo deliberately shoot at Loris yesterday or did he make a mistake? Same goes for Eddie on their goals, Adrian for Liverpool and many other events in football. What footballers, managers and fans have done, especially since the advent of the PL, is to blame all the ills of the game on incompetent officials when, truth be told, football has been littered with countless mistakes, from everyone on the pitch, since the day it began. Mistakes are the essential being of football and, in seeking some impossible, error free purity, it’ll never be the same again. Which, when you think about it, is somewhat sad.
I suppose VAR will become the quoted example in the old adage of “being careful what you wish for”......

I agree with much of the sentiment expressed on here. It does feel like City's goals are scrutinised far more than others. The lack of transparency about what is being reviewed, by who and when does not help. Why can't they be fully transparent, flag when a review is happening, show the clips that are being looked at and let us hear the dialogue as to how they have made a decision. I would like to know if they even looked at the Rodri neck hold, and if they did what was the logic for determining there was no offence committed. Or what was their reasoning for penalising the Laporte handball. They have transparency in other sports so why not in football, without it there is no way I trust it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.