Var debate 2019/20

To refine what you said, there's another interpretation which is if the ball hits the players hand, which controls it enough for him to score, or assist a direct goal scoring opportunity, OR the ball deflects off the hand/arm scoring a goal or assisting the scoring player, the goal should be disallowed.

However, all of this is open to ridiculous interpretation, namely phases. If the deflects off an arm & results in a goal, or deflects off an arm into the path of a team mate to score, I'd swallow that. The deflection from Laporte may have gone to Jesus, but look at the world class control needed, & how many players he had pass & avoid to score?

In my opinion, Jesus wasn't presented with a clear opportunity to score, he made that goal all by himself. Also, would the ball have deviated any further if it didn't touch Laporte's arm?

In terms of 'phases'; when did the crossing phase end? When the ball came to Jesus, or when he had an attempt? For instance, let's say the attempt by Jesus had struck the post, been controlled by Mahrez, passed back to Jesus who then scored. Where do the.phases begin & end?

Apparently Stockley House tried to explain this one to PL Clubs in the summer. By all accounts those in attendance were as baffled with this ruling when they left, as they were when they left, because so much was open to human interpretation.

I firmly support VAR, but I'm now of the view it should only be used for clear & obvious errors, & not to determine the length of a players' armpit hair. If there is no way a human could tell in real time, the benefit of the doubt should be given, instead of using lines at 50 fps on blurry TV images.

If a referee has clearly missed an offside or a handball, then VAR should assist. If only the use if VAR using AI & the law of averages can spot an infringement, then again the benefit of the doubt should go to the limit of what a human could reasonably be expected to spot.

VAR is now separating top flight football, from the rest of the global game, which is worrying. Offsides, should be clear & obvious. Handballs in the area should be for deflected goals, or a deflected ball leading directly to a goal. There wasn't enough of a deviation from Laporte arm which made the handball easy to spot in real time, & Jesus had too much to do to have directly benefitted from the slightest of touches.

What VAR should have done was shown if there was there a goal scoring advantage because of the handball, or would Jesus have scored without the touch by Laporte anyway. I believe the outcome would have been the same. In a reasonable world, the goal should have stood.

VAR is shite.

Shockingly bad. A mid glowingly stupid idea.

Football is meant to be a fast flowing sport involving humans and a ball; it's not formula fucking one. It's not cricket or gridiron.

Goal line tech is fine: it's quick, accurate and black and white. It was a minor enhancement to the officiating the game.

VAR is a huge change in the rules of a game that has developed very nicely for over a 100 years and did not require a quantum shift in how it is officiated.

In my 50 years of watching the game, this is the worst thing that has ever happened to it.

Well this is going to be fun, isn't it. Not! I await the 2 scenarios that will confirm what many of us suspect. The first will be when an almost identical situation to yesterday occurs for an opposing team against us. The second is when the same thing happens when it's the dips or scum being reviewed.

Correct.

Ok so as I comprehensively proved last week the VAR use on Sterling’s offside assist to Jesus was impossible to be conclusive due to the frame rate, which is again backed up in the media this weekend proving beyond any doubt that there’s a 38cm margin of error and Sterling was adjusted 2.4cm offside. You choose to ignore that entirely?

There’s also not a single conclusive image proving that Laporte handles that ball yesterday, not a single fucking one. It’s purely guesswork, but again you’re happy to ignore that as well.

Naive beyond belief.

I’m not ignoring last weeks incidents. In fact, the way those decisions panned out puts an even greater spotlight on VAR.

The fact they used two different points of contact to judge Sterling’s runs is incompetence of the highest level.

Either both goals should have been given or none of them.

That said, once they establish a clear rule on the point of contact during a pass for VAR, there is no reason why offsides cannot be as conclusive as goal line technology. Surely that is what we all want.

Really, I’ve been searching all morning and even slowed the match replays down as much as possible and still can’t see conclusive proof Laporte handles that ball yesterday.

Can you show me one single frame that shows the ball hits Laporte’s hand? You’re so adamant it’s “RIGHT” that you’ve clearly seen something 50,000 fans, Sky pundits and the media haven’t seen, so please feel free to elaborate and show us all.

It hits his arm. If you can’t see that, visit an optician.

I think these decisions would be easier to accept if they didn’t come like a bolt from the blue, an age after the goal has been “scored”.

I watch a lot of rugby league and cricket and you just don’t get these gut wrenching moments. In rugby, most of the video ref decisions relate to grounding. Its usually obvious that there’s some doubt over whether a try has been scored, but you know that the decision has been referred to the video ref as the referee holds his hands in the air and then you get to see the incident on the big screen. If it’s your team that has “scored” you hold back on the celebrations until the try is awarded.

But how many people in the ground yesterday knew that the goal was being reviewed ? Half of the Spurs fans were on their way to the exits. It’s been said that because Oliver stayed in the penalty area rather than going back to the centre circle we should have known that the goal hadn’t been awarded, but I just assumed he was staying their because our players were celebrating in the corner and he might have to book someone if they went into the crowd or took their shirt off.

I assume that VAR officials didn’t just rule out the goal on the basis of one look. They must have reviewed the incident several times. So as soon as it becomes apparent that there is an issue with the goal the ref needs to make a clear signal (such as holding his hands in the air like the rugby refs). And show the review on the big screen as it’s taking place. I would have still been sickened once the goal was ruled out, but perhaps not to the same extent

Every time a goal is scored, VAR checks it. How close they check it depending on the team who scored is not mentioned by this knob:

Is there any other sport other than football where the spectators in the ground are not permitted to view the evidence as the decision is being made ? Tennis, cricket, rugby, NFL...the crowd can view the evidence during the process whereby the decision is arrived at. That football hasn't insisted on this is ludicrous and frankly an insult to the paying fan (both home and away).

Mike “The Cock” Riley changed Var in the premier with the referees not having screens to view decisions like the Rodri incident in the box if that was in any other league with var the referee could gone and had a look on the pitch side screen!

Mike “The k¥NT” Riley in cahoots with Gill and his bum chums yanks at Scouse land came up with this scam because the History clubs do not have screens in the ground to show replays for the pay public!

Mike “The Arse Licker” Riley has been the major problem in the premier with everything to do with refereeing! History clubs got him in there back pocket.

“VAR will eliminate inconsistency and aid the officials to make the correct decision”

VAR ‘hold my beer’

So the WWE takedown of Rodri goes unpunished and less than 30 secs later, Raz does pretty much the same thing and gets a yellow!!
Please tell me that there is consistency and no bias. I do not believe we are winning the PL this year, VAR and other influences will make sure of it.
Remember where you heard it!!!
Raz was just a touch compared to Rodri’s smack down .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.