Var debate 2019/20

How can something that kills, stone dead, the joy of a goal be anything but a disaster? Check, re-check, re-check the check. Do me a fucking favour. It's shit and anyone, like me, who's been to the two games this season, knows it. But hey, it makes great telly.

As it currently stands VAR is not perfect and it most definitely has some teething issues.

The first thing it needs to be a success is for the replays to be shown at the game and the refs need to be microphoned so the fans can hear what they are checking. There is no way a match going fan should have less of an experience than the armchair fan.

However, something has to give if we want to have more accurate decisions. Losing a game due to a wrongly disallowed goal is also a disaster. Same as the ref refusing to give a blatant penalty like on Saturday.

Not sure if discussed already but having a ref in the VAR room that is lower profile or less experienced than the on field ref is a problem for me

Take the Rodri pen shout, Oliver somehow misses it, now it's up to the less experienced VAR operator to undermine him, there's going to be some reluctance there.

A simple solution would be to bring in ex refs like Hackett, Halsey, Webb etc. to operate VAR.

VAR will be good for City ultimately. Dippers and rags won't score from off-side positions at least and won't get so many favourable decisions. Rags got 12 pens last season, 3 times what we got. Won't happen with VAR, I'm perfectly sure about that. We'll benefit in some important games from VAR as well and people will find it more acceptable.
What are those happy pills you are taking? I want some.

I'm not sure why there are complaints about the handball not being 'clear and obvious'. I don't think there is any requirement for this to be C&O, just as with offside. Hitting the arm is hitting the arm.

The VARring of potential fouls seems nerfed completely. The VAR man has to see something definitive enough to make the ref overrule himself, pitchside reviews are to be very rare, so all the onfield ref needs to say is 'I'm certain' and that's that. It would be better not to use it at all than this half-arsed version.

This is a current major flaw which needs to be ironed out ASAP.

Refs should not be allowed to pick and choose which on-field incidents they want to check. They either have to check them all or scrap using VAR for potential penalty calls.

Ok now I've had some time to cool down and reflect on our last two games, here's my thoughts on events.

We can moan about Raz's offside decision against West Ham, the non penalty shout and the disallowed goal against Spurs as much as we want, but we can't change past results. Those 2 points cannot be reclaimed.

Now that the season has started, the handball rule, interpretation of contact in the penalty area and use of VAR technology should be applied CONSISTENTLY to ALL teams for the remainder of the season.

In my opinion City are the most technically gifted side in the Premer League, so we will absolutely storm this season, if all teams are judged in the same way as we have in the last two games. if consistency isn't applied then City should create a shit storm by producing a dossier of inconsistencies. Pep has already started this by pointing out that the Liverpool keeper was off his line for the penalty save the other night.

Don't for one second think that the press are criticizing VAR for City's benefit. You just need to consider for a moment how our opponents will fare if they no longer receive soft penalties and dodgy offside calls.

Now that we've been penalized by the inept use of the technology, they are applying pressure to prevent the old guard from receiving the same treatment.

The use of VAR will settle down with time and lessons should be learnt about attempting to use inadequate technology to make absolute decisions.

What really disappoints me, is how the use of the technology is giving a major advantage to the defence over the attack, as they are looking for the slightest opportunity to chalk off a goal.

As well as losing the spontaneous joy of celebrating a goal, the amount of disallowed goals will also spoil the entertainment of the game for the global TV audience. Once the Premier League realises the damage that this has on their brand, changes will be made.

Gutted...but we'll still claim our third title in a row this season by a clear 10 points.
No sweat

I know this has been mentioned before, but just to throw my point in there, VAR is fucking wank. It spoils the best thing about football, celebrating a goal, and it's very likely that after 21 years I will be sacking my season ticket off next year if they don't sort this bullshit out.
We all need to voice our displeasure in any way we can as I don't think some people are seeing the way this is going. There seem to be lots of people who will decide at the end of the season how this affects the pleasure of attending games. I have already decided to not bother with cup games for two people as most are on the telly anyway and when a ridiculous decision goes against us I can at least have a proper burst of anger and a rant which would likely get me a stadium ban. Was thinking of doing some away games this season which I don't normally do due to workload, but that's canned too, until I know how this pans out.

When the club email surveys start appearing I'll be voicing my displeasure that's for sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.