Var debate 2019/20

Var is a farce, let's face it, if a liverpool fan is in the studio at stockley viewing a City match they're never going to give a decision in Citys favour are they.
VAR = Vary Any Result in my opinion.
Whereas goal line technology has been easily accepted. There's too much wiggle room in VAR for human prejudice; human incompetence and corruption (principally from betting syndicates) to play a role. In that respect, to me it's not much of an improvement upon the days of old Alf.
The apparent inability in some quarters to even accept errors may have happened is not positive as acceptance of such is the first step to improving the system. I never expected it to be 100% correct when it was originally rolled out, but I expected it to be much, much better once its trial was completed. Similar problems appeared in the home games with THFC in last season's Champions League and this year's league match but nothing seems to have been learnt in the period between the two games.
VAR is great for the Milner offside last season because that was a clear and obvious error. It's less so when it's dealing with toenails and shirt thickness variances.
When I last ran, my body was leaning forwards as it was infinitely easier to do than running upright or leaning backwards, unless you're John Cleese. If one attacker is running forward and a defender is holding their position then there is every likelihood that part of the forward's body will be closer to the goal than the defender. To me, it's much more sensible to restrict everything to the feet.
Until they can provide a photo akin to that provided in athletics or cycling finishes, the technology is always going to be open to manipulation. Until then, everything remains in the hands of human fallibility.
Furthermore, I sense a creep towards the American football situation where a sixty minute game takes three hours to complete.

That's great. i haven't seen what he has written yet but at least he knows a story when he sees one. Swarbrick has been quoted all week and has tried to twist the meaning of the words used in the IFAB laws document but no one has nailed him on it. It is obvious that the FA has pushed the handball rules further than stated by IFAB. There has been a lot of covering of backs this week. The VAR officials got both decisions wrong at the Spurs match but no one in the media wants to call them out for it. Perhaps the relationship between people like SKY Sports and the VAR leadership is too cosy and us fans are just not in the loop.

He said this:

If there was anything positive about Manchester City’s disallowed goal last weekend, it was the sight of all those playing at being the only grown-up in the village being exposed as imposters, the former referees and many hipsters who sneeringly told critics that if they had just paid attention in the summer they would know that the VAR verdict was correct.

Delightfully, it turns out they don’t know the handball rule either. Kevin De Bruyne, the Manchester City player who complained most bitterly, was smugly concluded to be an ignoramus by people who had as smart a take on it as Ian Holloway.

De Bruyne’s only mistake was in completely accepting the official explanation for why Gabriel Jesus’s goal was disallowed, when it was wrong and based on a bogus interpretation.

De Bruyne was informed that any handball in the build-up to a goal is an offence, when the rule actually states: ‘It is an offence if a player gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then creates a goalscoring opportunity.’

Yet Aymeric Laporte in no way gained control or possession from his glancing deflection, and when the ball ended up with Jesus, he still had to beat several Tottenham players to score. So it isn’t the law that is an ass, but VAR as applied in this country. The fault, as ever, is human. We are told the kinks in VAR will settle down but for that to happen common sense must prevail. There is scant evidence of it so far.

Last edited:
Especially, when our officials were already considered amongst the worst on the plant e.g. no ref at the Men’s World Cup.

Btw one of the VARs has come from Australia where I think he was a Rugby League ref. No doubt he’s done his conversion training
But they haven't been weeded out yet.

VAR = Vary Any Result in my opinion.
Whereas goal line technology has been easily accepted. There's too much wiggle room in VAR for human prejudice; human incompetence and corruption (principally from betting syndicates) to play a role. In that respect, to me it's not much of an improvement upon the days of old Alf.
The apparent inability in some quarters to even accept errors may have happened is not positive as acceptance of such is the first step to improving the system. I never expected it to be 100% correct when it was originally rolled out, but I expected it to be much, much better once its trial was completed. Similar problems appeared in the home games with THFC in last season's Champions League and this year's league match but nothing seems to have been learnt in the period between the two games.
VAR is great for the Milner offside last season because that was a clear and obvious error. It's less so when it's dealing with toenails and shirt thickness variances.
When I last ran, my body was leaning forwards as it was infinitely easier to do than running upright or leaning backwards, unless you're John Cleese. If one attacker is running forward and a defender is holding their position then there is every likelihood that part of the forward's body will be closer to the goal than the defender. To me, it's much more sensible to restrict everything to the feet.
Until they can provide a photo akin to that provided in athletics or cycling finishes, the technology is always going to be open to manipulation. Until then, everything remains in the hands of human fallibility.
Furthermore, I sense a creep towards the American football situation where a sixty minute game takes three hours to complete.
Or Michael Johnson.

As I said in another thread to me it’s not the right or wrongs of the decision it’s the fact that it is ruining everything the game is about for me. I go to see goals and to celebrate

So imagine the greatest moment in our clubs recent history

Balotelli...... AGUEROOOOOOOO.......

We are now going to a VAR check.

Imagine that moment totally ruined by var irrespective of the outcome.

It’s shit

One thing I thought of was that if it happens the other way and a goal is ruled off for handball against the other team then we get a direct free kick. The opposition goalie may not be concentrating. Ederson should be alive to this and hammer the ball up field as soon as the free kick is awarded.

In my experience if City get screwed, support for City always intensifies.
Yes but if you as a fan get screwed do you just keep going ,feeding the system pretending things are just fine..?
There is a marked diffence from turning out in numbers home and away providing large vocal support from the terrace in the days when Football was a raw, passionate ,vocal, spectator experience ..and roaring the team on... to the mess which is the premier ship 'product' today.. I'd like our game back...snatched back from the US style video led dramatic histrionics which now characterize top level Football.
Please don't confuse support for our great club with support for the current system..there is a marked difference between the two,imo.
I withdrew my support for the system 3 years ago.No one can tell me im not a Blue.I cannot abide cheats and the game is full of them..and getting worse.
If our 'top referee' (lol)cannot see the most blatant penalty yards in front of him ..and has the audacity to tell the var official on his earpiece 'no penalty' then God help us all.

If ,as some posters have said. .he didnt see the incident clearly how come he over ruledVar?

If..he was taking advice and.. Var didn't think it was a pen....what's the point.?The game is dead.

Referees have always been shocking. The effect of every game being televised with multiple angles and now VAR just makes it more obvious.

Back in the day you just thought that some twat like Alf Grey had made a diabolical decision, but actually you had no way of proving it and you had to admit (if you were honest) that you might yourself be a tad biased. Now the evidence is there, thrust in our faces, and it's blatantly obvious that most officials are either grossly incompetent or plain cheats. OK, it's early days with VAR yet. You could argue there are teething problems which will be ironed out. But say it goes on like this? Blatant cheat after blatant cheat. At what point will people say "fuck this!" and either give up or go and watch Prestwich Heys, which is a lot cheaper and doesn't have TV or VAR shit?

Especially, when our officials were already considered amongst the worst on the plant e.g. no ref at the Men’s World Cup.

Btw one of the VARs has come from Australia where I think he was a Rugby League ref. No doubt he’s done his conversion training

grief tim, have a go by all means but all of this post is miles wide of the mark

VAR has the opportunity to be a great tool if it’s used correctly, like in rugby and cricket and tennis. I firmly believe though, it’s only as good as the person reviewing it, there is no transparency or accountability. Let the referee make the decision if it needs to be looked at.
The game is worth billions, it should be put on big screens, not shrouded in secrecy to allow personal interpretations/bias to sway the decision.
As much as I want to believe there isn’t an agenda to try and level up the PL and try and rein us in. The ineptitude and suspect/selective use of VAR is what is infuriating for the fans.
EVERYONE could clearly see the takedown of Rodri, yet the officials nor VAR wanted to acknowledge it as a foul, but less than 30 seconds later Sterling is being booked for exactly the same offence on the half way line.
Inconsistency? Absolutely.
Favouritism and bottling it. Absolutely.

Read it how you like, VAR is the new tool to try and stifle us. This will not be happing to the media darlings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.