Var debate 2019/20

Forgive me if I am wrong but - I always thought that VAR was adjudicating on errors that are ‘clear and obvious’. Is this correct?

If it is how can either the disallowed goal at WHU and the one against Spuds be a ‘clear and obvious’ error. Clear and obvious to me means that it should have been picked up on the field and wasn’t. How could you have expected an official to have spotted either of those two?

Forgive me if I am wrong but - I always thought that VAR was adjudicating on errors that are ‘clear and obvious’. Is this correct?

If it is how can either the disallowed goal at WHU and the one against Spuds be a ‘clear and obvious’ error. Clear and obvious to me means that it should have been picked up on the field and wasn’t. How could you have expected an official to have spotted either of those two?
This just my impression, but I think if the ref makes a ruling, i.e no one in Rodri, or say he gives a pen. VAR only asks him to look at it / over rule if it's clear and obvious error

The difference with Laporte’s is that Jesus still had a lot of work to do. If Laporte’s deflection would have rolled across the line for Jesus to tap into an empty net then I could understand the need to cancel it.

I could understand the argument, but I still wouldn't support it being cancelled. If the ball hits you, it's a random event and the ball can go anywhere random. I think that's just part of the game and we should allow play on in those circumstances, even if it leads to a goal. IMO.

It not, then you get into the debate about how much work did the scorer have to do afterwards and then the whole thing becomes very subjective. Honestly, I think the best interpretation of laws, for me, would simply be if you deliberately handle it, it's an infringement and if it's accidental, then it isn't. And you define deliberate by the usual "hand towards the ball", "arm in unnatural position" etc. Of course there will always be subjectivity, but you want to try to make it as objective - and least prone to interpretation/incompetence/corruption as possible.

Would you take the 3% if they are always against us? As opposed to 10% which are 5% in our favour and 5% against?

I think now it's in place, it can only get better. We've probably had the brunt of the technology because of the two Spurs ties. But in the law of the game both decisions were correct. In our league there have only been 20 matches and we're not the only ones asking for consistency in penalty calls (Brighton handball, Laporte pull) but the goals it chalks off have all been correct decisions as far as I'm aware. Pen calls don't bother me as much as you can miss a pen, or have the pen cancelled by VAR again. It's things like the ball went out of play and the other team score, or a two footer like the one on Leroy that WILL get punished. I'd rather have VAR than have a player given a horror tackle and the oppo player gets away with it.

I think now it's in place, it can only get better. We've probably had the brunt of the technology because of the two Spurs ties. But in the law of the game both decisions were correct. In our league there have only been 20 matches and we're not the only ones asking for consistency in penalty calls (Brighton handball, Laporte pull) but the goals it chalks off have all been correct decisions as far as I'm aware. Pen calls don't bother me as much as you can miss a pen, or have the pen cancelled by VAR again. It's things like the ball went out of play and the other team score, or a two footer like the one on Leroy that WILL get punished. I'd rather have VAR than have a player given a horror tackle and the oppo player gets away with it.

It isn't aboit the calls it's aboit the affext on enjoymemt of that mommemt of joy or despair being removed as the souless life sucking entity tgat is VAR ruins celebrating a goal for the most insignificant calls.

The dissaloud winner last week wasn't clear and obvious so really VAR shouldn't have been used to decide, the on field refs original call should have.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.