VAR impact and consequence log - game 27

flook

Team supported
Don't ask daft questions
Thought it might be useful to keep these together under one thread, as it appears VAR may have a significant impact this season

running total 4 points down

Manchester City v

WHU (A) - Sterling goal ruled out for marginal offside - result 5-0 win - no consequence

Spurs (H) - Jesus goal ruled out for slightest touch on Laporte arm, Laporte arm being tugged at the time
Lamela foul on Rodri - no penalty after review, ref decision stands - result 2-2 - consequence -2 points

Bournemouth (A) possible penalty for foul on David Silva (at 7.30) no penalty after review, ref decision stands - result 3-1 win - no consequence

Brighton (h) nothing to see here, except 2 fantastic team goals and a stunning Sergio strike. No VAR incidents - result 4-0 win

Norwich (a) again no impact from VAR, shocking performance (Aguero excepted) and 3 points dropped - result 3-2 defeat

Watford (h) 4 games in a row VAR has been quiet, one of the best performances I've seen from any team - result 8-0 win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUoAl-M_8Kg

Everton (a) All quiet on the VAR front, some debate on the matchday thread about a pre-offside for the Everton goal but it was in a phase about 3 removed from the goal so wouldn't have been VAR checked - tough game result 3-1 win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AibzCe9VmQ4

Wolves (h) No need for VAR to be deployed today, we were woeful, result 2-0 defeat (don't watch the highlights without a stiff drink)

Crystal Palace (a) VAR finally raises it's increasingly ugly head as Kev is assaulted by Wilf of the dodgy hair, referee not interested, nor is VAR, 60 million other people in the UK see a clear penalty. Doesn't affect the result 2-0 win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCwVTiNW82E

Aston Villa (h) A good game for VAR in my opinion, 4 calls, 4 correct decisions. Performance of the referee in non-VAR decisions however is a diffferent story, with Jack Ghoulish being very fortunate to last the game, and Fern being unfortunate, and a bit silly). Result 3-0 win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFurQICL2Ig

Southampton (h) A few handball shouts (mainly from the stands) which may or may not have been reviewed by VAR, commentary was strangely silent, but non were really penalties. Horrible game of anti-football by Southampton. Result 2-1 win
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lmXk6g1ito

Liverpool (a) Well VAR burst on to the scene like a whirlwind in this one, or was it with a whisper? What many had predicted came to pass as a pretty nailed on penalty shout when the ball hit Arnolds extended arm was turned down (for at least 3 different reasons according to the various explanations from referees and ex referees I've read since), and with City players committing the cardinal sin of not playing to the whistle, a quick break upfield, a shockingly bad clearance from Gundog, and a terrific strike from Fabinho, and we were one down. Shortly after a still reeling City were hit again as Salah nodded in from a Mane cross. I've read on here that it was a potential offside which was rejected almost immediately by VAR, however in the words of the commentator on the City official site replay "no controversy there". A third for Mane shortly into the second half was against the run of play, was followed by a goal for Bernado. Another appeal for handball against Arnold from a Stirling shot was turned down, this one less clear than the first as it was from close range and hit at pace. Finally a push on Stirling laid claim to a thrid possible penalty. Having now seen the highlight (thanks Rolee) I think it was a foul.

It's difficult to determine whether these decisions cost us the game. Certainly the first Liverpool goal should not have stood, and we should instead have had a penalty. Of course our recent record is poor, and there is also the issue that the ball hit Bernados hand before the penalty shout, which could be interpreted as leading to a goal had we scored the penalty. Bizarre situation created by ridiculously over complicated handball rules. So lets say 0-0 at that point.

Add in the second penalty for the push on Raz, and assume we score this time

On that basis, and acknowledging the second goal was probably influenced by the fact we lost focus/concentration as a result of the shenanigans around the first, we were probably good for a desmond. The reality of the situation is that we created enough chances to at least get a draw, but poor finishing or poor final ball let us down as much as bad/bent officials. Result 3-1 defeat

https://www.mancity.com/citytv/matc...l-man-city-premier-league-extended-highlights

Chelsea (h) Fuck VAR Fuck VAR Fuck VAR. Thought this was a great game of football, Chelsea started like a train and were deservedly 1 up, couple of quick goals and we're cruising, looked like a foul on Sergio in the box, not given, however on replay the decision was correct, another close call when Sergio was bundled over on the edge of the box, replay showed not a penalty but should have been a free kick, then Raz springs through and a fine finish. And that's when it all goes tits up again. Pages 32 -38 (as I type) cover the general view, but in summary another ridiculous forensic examination to inflict an offside decision, and one which bears scrutiny with the Salah one. Ultimately didn't affect the result so the running total of points lost doesn't change, but the sourest of sour tastes is left when it should have been a sweet victory. Result 2-1 win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_g70-IsqM0

Newcastle (a) VAR not troubled but we as City fans most definitely were. Lead twice, but for moments both times, KDB thunderbolt a potential goal of the season, but more points lost Result 2-2 draw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkeLtxeuSOs&t=2s

Burnley (a) VAR again not troubled, and apparently neither was John Moss troubled by the reckless challenges on Silva and Kev. A return to form was long overdue, and after a hesitant start a powerful midfield duly obliged. Result 4-1 win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNwVnEd7J8

United (h) lots of VAR able incidents, we benefitted from none, however of the ones I picked up (and there's no way I'm watching this again)

Handball shout mctominay 3 minutes, not given, correct decision
Handball shout against lindelhoff 13 minutes not given, ricochet onto arm, accidental, probably correct decision
Penalty shout on rashford, not given and overturned by VAR correct call, but no more contact than we’ve had not overturned on more than one occasion this season
Handball shout against fred on half time, not given and not overturned, ball hit arm stopping the cross, wrong decision. This was a penalty for any other team (except Leicester obviously)
Handball shout against shaw, arm tucked in not given, undecided about this, his arm was tucked in, but he definitely moved it towards the ball, tight but I think penalty

2 possible pens then, you'd assume we'd score 1? so 2 points lost. This is a bit disingenuous however as we deserved nothing from this game. Result 2-1 defeat

Arsenal (a) quiet day for VAR as we scored 3 exquisite goals in a very very good first half. Result 3-0 win

Leicester (h) We got a penalty, ref gave it, VAR studied it, Raz went for an oscar nomination for it about 5 minutes after he was fouled, and we still got it. other than that, no impact, result 3-1 win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vaObBKIcyM

Wolves (a) 10 minutes in defence goes to sleep, clash of heads results in Wolves getting the ball, was this because of the new uncontested drop ball rule? Long punt upfield and Jota through on goal, ederson comes out no hope of getting to it, Jota pops the ball over his head and basically runs into eddie. Red card for Eddie and upheld by VAR, correct decision (probably) only doubt is that Jota made no effort to avoid eddie, but why should he?

15 minutes later and mahrez goes down as though sniped from the crowd. No pen given and initial thought is he’s lucky to avoid a booking for a dive. VAR check and replays on tv show his foot was stamped on, penalty given by VAR, again correct decision.

Up steps Raz and hits a weak penalty to keepers right, easily saved and cleared by wolves pet dipper Coady. VAR check and Coady encroached so retake.

Carbon copy of the first pen and Raz misses again, but this time ball drops nicely and he pops in the rebound.

Multiple dives by Jota(?) at the start of second half checked by VAR and not given. No card for the diving twunt tho. Some controversy over Wolves third as Mendy (what the fuck was he doing herding the ball out for a wolves corner???) was bumped off the ball by Traore, who then crossed for the goal. Really not much in it but the other way around.......

3 significant VAR interventions and all correct, result 3-2 defeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXwru3AspFc

Sheff Utd (h) Well VAR steps up again and works in our favour. 30 minutes in, Aguero wrestled off the ball and no foul given, quick break by Sheffield and the balls in the net. For once we get a close VAR decision in our favour and goal disallowed for a very close offside

Shortly after VAR check for a Sheffield penalty not given

Kev slips Sergio in after referee tackles Sheffield midfielder, ref allows play to continue and Sergio does what he does best. Controversial, I’d be fuming if it happened to us, but correct to the rules as the ball didn't touch the referee

Possible handball as sheff defender kicks ball onto his own arm, not even checked by VAR as far as I could tell. Result 2-0 win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UHPAAzJVX4

Everton (h) 12 minutes in Foden finishes off a fine move, VAR overturns the goal as Mahrez who provided the pass to Cancelo to cross was offside. This was a clear and obvious offside and VAR worked exactly as it should do. However the reasoning contradicts what Dermot Gallagher IAC said when asked why VVD handball wasn't looked at for the Dippers goal v Wolves, so another example of inconsistent application of the rules in the use of the technology

Minutes later, Mahrez flagged offside incorrectly, VAR checks for foul on Mahrez for penalty, but Mahrez may have handled it, no one knows what the fuck is going on and I pour another glass of red. Game restarts with a Everton FK for offside, the only thing that didn't happen

Big shout for foul on Foden in the everton box, waved away by mariner, looked clear cut at full speed but the replay shows the defender nicked the ball off his toe….maybe. Result 2-1 win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0WqZka6M_I

Aston Villa (a) Rampant and back to our best, 2 records for Aguero, VAR fairly quiet. Jesus woman slapped in the Villa area, went down as though he'd been sniped, no review as far as I could tell, would have been angry had it been given against us though so no complaints, then a Villa lad, don't remember and frankly don't care either, went down like HE'd been sniped (dangerous in the midlands this time of year), with what I thought was a clear dive, but VAR correctly ruled that Gundog had carelessly/Lazily/Stupidly (delete depending on your own view) tripped him, and with the last kick of the game a clean sheet was lost. Bet Eddie was delighted. Result 6-1 win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jImPYdYptvw

Crystal Palace (h)
15 minutes Freekick from Kev rebounds off bar, push in the back of fernandinho, no mention on comms and presumably no VAR review

Minutes later Stones checks Zaha in the City area, ref thankfully decides Zaha had leaned into Stones, and VAR agreed, risky from JS though

72 minutes in ruedeweld sticks his leg out, ball rebounds onto his outstretched hand, penalty initially given and overturned by VAR. Last season that was a nailed on penalty, this season? Who knows, depends what day of the week it is, what colour you are wearing, and where the moon is in Mercury I guess

Surprisingly (or not) we make changes, removing the two Silvas for Mahrez and Jesus, and go 2-1 up as St Kun of Aguero pulls us out of the shit once again. Of course, this season being what it is we can’t even hold on for 5 minutes, and Zaha holds off the physical behemoth that is john stones, to cross for Fern to turn into his own net. Palace, 2 attacks, 2 goals and it’s shades of Spurs all over again. With regards VAR, nothing blatantly wrong, so no effect on the overall points lost or gained status. Result draw 2-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeA2kI2HLDY

Sheffield United (a) 15 minutes in and Besic, slayer of KDB(? I think) last season, goes in late studs first on Laporte, leaving him in a crumpled heap. A booking, probably correct, despite the many calls for red on the matchday thread

Jesus penalty on 35 minutes, we all knew what was going to happen, and it did, Easy save for the rag kid in goal, but he was a yard off his line. Does VAR check for that? Either way I’m not counting that as a reason because we’d have missed the retake too (edit - not a VAR check point, lino only)

40 minutes another studs up this time fleck on fern, another booking. Ferns foot was planted and if anything this was more of a red than the first one

Kun replaced Jesus eventually, and minutes later was on the end of a typical Kev cross to score the only goal of the game, tough game, badly refereed against a bit of a throwback side (I’m being polite here)

Result 1-0 win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCQvwiByYO0

Spursy (a)

10 minutes Raz tumble in the box under pressure from Aurier, no mention of VAR check. Replay shows Raz went down far too easily

12 minutes Nasty challenge by Raz arriving late, we’d have been shouting for red. VAR check upholds yellow. Frankly as it was on Alli, a medal would have been the correct decision

36 minutes Aguero goes down under reckless challenge from Aurier, Dean says ball played, VAR check took a long long time, before penalty awarded, game had gone on for 2 minutes. Ridiculous situation but correct decision

Gundog misses Sterling goes for rebound and keeper takes him out, VAR decides not enough contact for penalty. Looked for a minute like Raz would be booked for diving (he didn't) but Dean walks right past him and books Zinchenko

Why the fuck can’t we take penalties???

VAR active but generally correct I think.

Second half Zinchenko, already booked for having a big gob, goes shoulder to shoulder with a spursy chap on the break, would have been fair had the ball been in remotely the same area, but as Winks(?) had already toed it well past Zin the challenge was an old fashioned body check, leaving Dean little option but to book him. As an aside, the absolute delight of Tyler that our cheating professional fouls (TM)(c) had finally bitten us on the arse was little short of pathetic

Once again we dominated, once again there were a catalogue of shockingly bad decsions and misses in the box. The video is thankfully short, but isn't pleasant watching

defeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPIq-TGlm08

West Ham (h)

5 minutes and oh Jesus jesus, 12 minutes in and another sitter for Gabby and another shocking failure to finish, but the clearest handball you will ever see not even looked at by VAR

20 minutes Sergio played in, pulled back by Agbonhor (habd job anyone?), incorrectly called offside, meaning VAR had no decision to make....or did it? Surely this should have been reviewed and the offside decision noted as incorrect, therefore review of assault on Sergios' genitalia, then clear pen and red card

Pattern developing early on tonight

Finally took the lead with a Rodri header……FROM A CORNER

Kev added a second on the hour, game sort of petered out after that blah blah lah

Result 2-0 win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFg4axdZJCc

Leicester (a)

A number of VAR issues in this game, and for once we benefited from a dodgy decision. Leicester FK on the edge of the box driven in by Maddison, Kev appears to be napping as the rest of the wall jumps he raises his hands to protect his face. It's an iffy one but if that was the other way I'd expect a penalty. I'm going the whole hog here and saying they score, so "corrected" result is 1-1 and for the first time in 27 games we have a (probable) game changing incorrect decision in our favour.

Not long after and Leicester have another shout for a penalty and if given a probable red card for Eddie as he takes out Ian Nacho with a punch Tyson Fury would have been proud of. Difficult to tell but I "think" he got the ball first, so no pen correct decision (it definitely wasn't a clear and obvious error so decision stays with ref) VAR got that one right.

We get, and miss, another penalty late in the second half as a Gundog shot is stopped by Chelwells slide with arm raised, definitely a penalty, and again VAR got it spot on. Pity Sergio didn't. Perhaps we should ask for the next penalty to be changed to a corner as we have scored more from them this season than penalties.

Finally got the breakthrough as Mahrez drew 4 defenders to him and dinked in Jesus who put Wednesdays nightmare finishing behind him to slot home

Result 1-0 win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiXC8XxTrqE

Last edited:
Thought it might be useful to keep these together under one thread, as it appears VAR may have a significant impact this season

running total 2 points down

Manchester City v

WHU (A) - Sterling goal ruled out for marginal offside - result 5-0 win - no consequence

Spurs (H) - Jesus goal ruled out for slightest touch on Laporte arm, Laporte arm being tugged at the time
Lamela foul on Rodri - no VAR penalty review - result 2-2 - consequence -2 points

Useful thread mate. Why are you only showing that go against is though. Stirling’s second against WH was also extremely marginal and should be included for balance.

Useful thread mate. Why are you only showing that go against is though. Stirling’s second against WH was also extremely marginal and should be included for balance.

I'm applying the "clear and obvious error" principle, marginal shouldnt rule a goal out

^^ This ^^

And keep the thread going if/when we move into “credit”. Otherwise it’s yet another agenda thread.

Indeed, although I'm struggling to keep a straight face at the thought of it going into credit :)

I think that ‘guidance’ went for a burton a while ago mate. Does it even apply to a goal check?

I'm aware, but as brexit, we were sold VAR on one set of principles, with the reality being different, so I'm sticking to the principle we were sold

But that one would probably have been ruled out without VAR.

Again, marginal decision so principle is should not be affected by VAR. It wasn't flagged offside (and I'm aware of the keep the flag down instruction, but this has been largely ignored in both games this season) and therefore counts

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.