VAR impact and consequence log - game 17

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by flook, 18 Aug 2019.

1. flook

flook

of course there is confusion over the rules, certainly in respect of when VAR will be applied, as this seems to change every week. As I said, initial selling of VAR was for clear and obvious errors, which in my opinion is exactly what it should be for. Accidental handball which does not influence the flight of the ball should, to paraphrase Danny Murphy, on no pitch anywhere in the world be cause for a goal to be disallowed.

Scrutinising every goal is what's killing this for most fans, and is not what VAR was originally intended to do

wattle likes this.
  2. Psychedelic Casual

Psychedelic Casual

That little arm pull was well before the header so it didn’t affect the handball and there’s no way that it was a penalty.

3. flook

flook

I agree, wasn't a penalty, wasn't handball either by any sensible interpretation of the rules

4. mosssideblue

mosssideblue

I meant confusion amongst fans?

It w#has been stated several times pre season and following last week's games that VAR will be used for:

Clear and obvious errors made by ref
    To check every goal for infringement
    To ensure straight reds are that
    To confirm a players identity

Yesterday, the only gripe we can have is not being awarded the penalty

The issue is its application

Psychedelic Casual likes this.
  5. Psychedelic Casual

Psychedelic Casual

But that’s got nothing to do with VAR. That’s the new handball rule being shit.

In terms of the new handball rule, it was a clear and obvious error as the ball definitely hit Laporte’s hand.

We can’t have it both ways. We wanted Llorente’s goal last season in the CL disallowed for exactly the same thing (it hit Llorente’s arm even less than Laporte’s). The attacking team can now no longer have the ball hit an arm in any degree leading up to a goal.

MillionMilesAway likes this.
  6. mosssideblue

mosssideblue

Nail on head

7. flook

flook

That's completely wrong, Llorente incident changed the direction of the ball and led directly to the goal, Laporte incident didn't affect the flight of the ball

8. flook

flook

can't argue with that, but it's all part and parcel isn't it, without VAR this rule would never have been implemented because it would be impossible to police

9. mosssideblue

mosssideblue

We are all pissed off mate, but something needed to be done to at least look to help the refs out who, for whatever reason, were not able to manage games to the law correctly, and it was voted in. As I said in an earlier post, its the laws it is being applied to that need a looking at

10. Radcliffe 1309

Radcliffe 1309

Sorry but I'm pretty sure the flight of the ball was affected by it touching Laporte, it then changed directions even though it was minimal.....and ended up at the feet of Jesus