VAR impact and consequence log - game 27

Sterling was offside by an inch and that is offside.

was it though? is VAR tech that accurate that it can judge the precise (to the millisecond) the pass is struck? Benefit of the doubt should always be with the striker

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-2-4cm-offside-allowed-13cm-margin-error.html

to save you clicking the link

"Yet the technology used in trying to determine when a ball was passed and when a run was made is actually not advanced enough — with a margin for error that could be as big as 38.8cm (14inches)"

was it though? is VAR tech that accurate that it can judge the precise (to the millisecond) the pass is struck? Benefit of the doubt should always be with the striker

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-2-4cm-offside-allowed-13cm-margin-error.html

to save you clicking the link

"Yet the technology used in trying to determine when a ball was passed and when a run was made is actually not advanced enough — with a margin for error that could be as big as 38.8cm (14inches)"
Been saying this from the start. As an ex cricketer who has played with Hawkeye I can tell you the technology isn’t even 95% right. Therefore goals are being chalked off for mm’s when they could well be onside by cm. this has deffo turned into a var debate sorry lol. Mind you doesn’t every football discussion nowadays? Hate it with a passion

Having watched the game for decades I consider myself to have comparable knowledge of the LotG as anyone on the IFAB group. Where a law needs to be changed it should be on the basis of a recurring and obvious problem or where the game can be improved. The law regarding goal kicks is a major improvement and we need to congratulate the folk who came up with it. The same for a kicking off backwards! The penalty encroachment rule is another. But where was the obvious problem with the ball brushing a players arm five or ten kicks down the line before it's thumped into the net? VAR should deliver a decision where it can look for a clear handball. Where it can't find any of it isn't clear then you play on. Fuckin' about with this rule now has not addressed a recurring problem. They have found one where it didn't exist, and they can use VAR to support it! Defenders sticking out their arms is one thing; defenders who can't get out of the way of a ball travelling at 70 or 80mph is an entirely different thing. They have no control over events and shouldn't be penalised. Last season the Wolves player who scored with an outstretched arm whether the claim was that he was simply supporting himself should have been penalised with a simple handball decision. The game of Ottamendi's pen v Schalke, I think, was a nonsense. Llorente scored with his arm. Whether he stuck his arm out we will never know 'cos I fancy the electronic footage will have been 'seen to'! I can go along with not being able to score directly and deliberately with an arm or hand but the inclusion of the current law will do nothing for the game but drive people away. There is also the other side of the coin in that it begs the question: Now we have VAR will there be no goal scored this season by any PL team if it comes off hand or arm whether it was completely accidental or where a player had no control over events whatsoever. I wonder what might have happened in our 44 pass goal against MANUre had the ball bobbled up and just grazed the nail on a City player's thumb on, say, the third pass?

Been saying this from the start. As an ex cricketer who has played with Hawkeye I can tell you the technology isn’t even 95% right. Therefore goals are being chalked off for mm’s when they could well be onside by cm. this has deffo turned into a var debate sorry lol. Mind you doesn’t every football discussion nowadays? Hate it with a passion

I don't follow any rugby, cricket or tennis like I do football, but when I watch them and there is Va AR moment I only think that the decision has been scrutinised as best it could be and a decision reached which is pretty acceptable. VAR will never be 100%, but I would love football to get it to at least 50%. The game stands out as being the one where technology has fucked it over. VAR is now incorporated successfully into other sports. There will always be nit pickers who will point out its deficiencies but let's have the best we can get. I just wonder what those other sports did when it became available re changing and modifying the laws of the sport as football has done with the so-called ball brushing hand infringement. I suspect they did nothing and added nothing.

I don't really watch too many games other than ours, but I'd be interested to know how it's affected other games. I know there have been a couple of games where it's been controversial, but we seem to be the only title contender who have had a fair number of controversial moments so far. In the league at least.

They definitely have to be careful, not so much with VAR itself, but with the rule changes. I don't know anyone, including Spurs fans, who think that it was genuinely in the spirit of the game to disallow that goal yesterday. I know people who stopped watching rugby league because of the constant rule changes.

The thing I find confusing about it is that they were so tentative about bringing in technology in the first place, talking about how careful they have to be about which incidents to use it for, and not to use it to re-referee games. Now they've got it, they've gone balls deep and are even changing rules to allow them to use it rather than the referee's judgement.

I may be wrong but I believe that was a ref decision not a VAR decision?

I didn't think it was.
VAR is allowed to look at encroachment like that.

Either way, good luck with this and elimination of blue tinting in doing it! I think ignoring goal difference is the way to go about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.