VAR impact and consequence log - game 27

For the Mahrez one there were two checks.
1st to see if he was onside or off. It proved he was onside.
So then it was looked at to see if the resulting challenge in the box was a penalty or not. It wasn't given.
I assume the ball went out of play after the challenge - so Everton were awarded a goal kick????
There were three checks apparently. One to see if he was offside which he wasn't - a good foot onside. Second to see if it was handball which it wasn't and third to see if it was a penalty which it was bit VAR decided it wasn't. And then for some unknown reason play restarted with a free kick for Everton from where Mahrez was perceived to have been offside. All of this took more time than was added on at the end of the half despite the VAR check for the goal as well which took a minute or so

I was thinking about VAR when Jesus scored the first. Here's a scenario that could or probably has happened, almost, definitely maybe.

VAR reviews a foul in the box (a penalty decision is needed), play goes down the other end. A goal is scored. VAR must review the foul and the goal. It finds both are incorrect, but as it is doing so the team that had been fouled in the box scores a legit goal. Immediately from the restart the opposition score a goal, also legit. Fans go mad, the crowds go mad and all hell breaks loose. Even LiVApool fans think the game is bent that day.

In all seriousness VAR really heats people up. Seen some placid blokes go ape-sh!t bonkers this season...
Me being one of those. It makes my blood boil

There were three checks apparently. One to see if he was offside which he wasn't - a good foot onside. Second to see if it was handball which it wasn't and third to see if it was a penalty which it was bit VAR decided it wasn't. And then for some unknown reason play restarted with a free kick for Everton from where Mahrez was perceived to have been offside. All of this took more time than was added on at the end of the half despite the VAR check for the goal as well which took a minute or so
Was the offside flagged by the linesman? If so that could explain why it was given as a free kick? (Just guessing)

Was the offside flagged by the linesman? If so that could explain why it was given as a free kick? (Just guessing)
Yes and the ref blew after Mahrez went down in the area so not a quick whistle at all. Remember at the beginning of the season when we were told that the flag would stay down with close calls and then VAR would review if a goal was scored. That stopped pretty quickly didn't it as did the reviews being shown on screen so that the crowd could actually see what was going on

I'm not a big fan of VAR at all, but don't see where the anger is about giving the offside decision.

The linesman put his flag up, ref let play carry on until Mahrez foul, when he then blew the whistle for offside. VAR confirmed it wasn't offside and they should check the penalty, they decided it wasnt a pen, so went back to the onfield decision, because VAR can only be used for penalties, red cards and goals - not every decision in the game (otherwise it would take 10 hours to play a game).

I'm not a big fan of VAR at all, but don't see where the anger is about giving the offside decision.

The linesman put his flag up, ref let play carry on until Mahrez foul, when he then blew the whistle for offside. VAR confirmed it wasn't offside and they should check the penalty, they decided it wasnt a pen, so went back to the onfield decision, because VAR can only be used for penalties, red cards and goals - not every decision in the game (otherwise it would take 10 hours to play a game).
But the flaw in your argument is that as soon as the flag goes up the ref should whistle which he didn't for some unknown reason

Yes and the ref blew after Mahrez went down in the area so not a quick whistle at all. Remember at the beginning of the season when we were told that the flag would stay down with close calls and then VAR would review if a goal was scored. That stopped pretty quickly didn't it as did the reviews being shown on screen so that the crowd could actually see what was going on

The flag does still stay down in lots of games, for certain sides.

Us? Not so much.

Oh well.

I sort of understand WHY it restarted WHERE it did. The idea is that the official has made a mistake (wrong offside call) and VAR is trying to not compound that by punishing a team for what could be a legitimate goal or goalscoring opportunity (ie penalty claim, fk on edge of box). In reality the game has already been stopped and needs to restart from where the original wrong decision was made. My issue is that as I saw it the referee indicated (by drawing an imaginary offside line) that the initial offside decision was correct. I think a dropped ball to the defending team (with the new rule of the other team being 4M away) is probably a better way to explain to the crowd what happened.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.