VAR impact and consequence log - game 27

>> There's no two ways about it because had the referee spotted it then the penalty would of and should of been given in the first place

That's one view (and, since I don't know for sure, I'll say "is quite likely" the way, in fact that the currently laws of the game apply).

However, from a perspective of equity... there's another view, which is this. An infraction occurred and a penalty should have been awarded - that is to say, punishment for the offending side is deserved. How then, is it at all fair, if the offending side actually benefits from the non-call?

In American Football, such situations are handled by giving the damaged side a choice - you may choose to accept the penalty or instead may choose to let the subsequent play stand.

So long as VAR is going to lag, then I think it fair (perhaps controversial) to institute a "your choice to accept the penalty or to accept subsequent play" rule.

===

My proposed "solution" is of course flawed - what needs to be fixed is the huge delay between when an offsides/penalty occurs and when VAR finally pulls back the play.

American Football has an advantage though in that the game goes through 'plays' and stops frequently giving a natural time for VAR to look at things.

Football here though is only made exciting by the fact that it constantly flows which is why any stoppage frustrates people.

I was there at city last year when we played Spurs and Sterling scored the last minute winner. I ran up and down the steps, hugged the fella next to me and then the goal was chalked off for offside.

I've never felt so drained in the 30 years I have watched city. The decision was correct of course but now the excitement of those moments just won't be the same.

Imagine the Aguero 2011 moment in 5 years time, we'd score and then have to stand around waiting for the refs to consider whether there was a foul on a QPR player 2 minutes before.

Personally I'd just give VAR to the refs to use as a tool. They can call upon it when they aren't sure but the rest of the time the decision stands once it's made.

Dermot has given the world his wisdom on VAR decisions and surprise surprise, he doesnt even go near our game.

VAR is rubbish in its current guise, and I can understand it raising anger amongst fans, but the first person to blame would still be the moron who decides to cause trouble.
Fans/people will do what fans do. You can stick your head in the sand and expect ALL fans to behave. In the real world though we have bans on alcohol, bans on showing inflamatory replays on the big screen, bans on fans being in the wrong stand - You expect the fans to just behave? Dream on. VAR is causing anger in the stands, thr fans dont deserve to be called morons when they are being whipped up by VAR in its current guise.

Fans/people will do what fans do. You can stick your head in the sand and expect ALL fans to behave. In the real world though we have bans on alcohol, bans on showing inflamatory replays on the big screen, bans on fans being in the wrong stand - You expect the fans to just behave? Dream on. VAR is causing anger in the stands, thr fans dont deserve to be called morons when they are being whipped up by VAR in its current guise.

People always have a choice about how the behave or react in any situation regardless of provocation.....using VAR as a reason for aggression/violence in the stands would be disgraceful

As you don’t go it seems a tad ironic that you pontificate on how fans shouldn’t/should behave

So cause i cant attend games i shouldnt have an opinion....

Im not saying people shouldnt be angry - thats a normal human emotion and to suggest something like that would be impossible and ridiculous...but everybody has to take individual resposnibility for their choice of behaviour - its always a choice....

And just for your info -I used to be a season ticket holder in the 1980's at Maine Road firstl as a kid in the Kippax and secondly in the north stand (I was 10 years old when it kicked off in the north stand just below me at the start of the 5-1 win over utd)

Anyone that condones violence for any reason is the real problem.

It seems strange that you cannot handle this opinion

But the flaw in your argument is that as soon as the flag goes up the ref should whistle which he didn't for some unknown reason
No he shouldn't... because it was a goal-scoring opportunity, they're meant to let play continue until said opportunity has passed. Then, if there's a goal/penalty/red card, they can determine if the linesman was correct or not. Had we gone through and scored, they would have given the goal.

They followed the procedure correctly. The main issue is the lack of communication to the fans within the stadium regarding the situation.

So a fan who feels aggrieved at a decision made by VAR who then decides to chuck something at a player is not a moron?

No they give the free kick as offside, mariner had his hand up and gave the free kick as offside, play resumed with an Everton free kick where mahrez was 'offside'.
He was on by at least half a finger.
He used his arm to control the ball. It should have been a free kick for Everton right there. and it should of took them five seconds to figure that out.
I think the south stand would ref the game more fairly. Leaving Var to concentrate on ins and outs.

So cause i cant attend games i shouldnt have an opinion....

Im not saying people shouldnt be angry - thats a normal human emotion and to suggest something like that would be impossible and ridiculous...but everybody has to take individual resposnibility for their choice of behaviour - its always a choice....

And just for your info -I used to be a season ticket holder in the 1980's at Maine Road firstl as a kid in the Kippax and secondly in the north stand (I was 10 years old when it kicked off in the north stand just below me at the start of the 5-1 win over utd)

Anyone that condones violence for any reason is the real problem.

It seems strange that you cannot handle this opinion

You've never heard of "Induced emotion theory"? Crowds of people react very differently to individuals

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.