VAR Thread - 2021/22

Just to play devils advocate

had the lino flagged Aguerooooo winning goal offside or ref spotted a foul so it was ruled out.
that’s just part and parcel of the game ?

VAR is frustrating, has major flaws and is far from perfect.
but I’d much much rather be frustrated by it then watch a ref give penalty decisions like he did against Chelsea or have goals ruled out when they shouldn’t be - if only it could be as consistent as it was last night.
If it was always right your first goal against Leeds wouldn't have stood....one of the more blatantly corrupt var decisions this season ;)
Didn't see Bowens "goal" against Norwich....but maybe luck equals itself out, as we were told happened pre var, over the season.

Just to play devils advocate

had the lino flagged Aguerooooo winning goal offside or ref spotted a foul so it was ruled out.
that’s just part and parcel of the game ?

VAR is frustrating, has major flaws and is far from perfect.
but I’d much much rather be frustrated by it then watch a ref give penalty decisions like he did against Chelsea or have goals ruled out when they shouldn’t be - if only it could be as consistent as it was last night.
Yes, it would've been.

To flip your scenario around; Would you say that having var for that goal would've improved the 'moment'?

With var, the complete joy,excitement, drama of what was without doubt the best end to a title race ever would have been killed stone dead. Sure we could all have held our breath and sat on our hands for 5 minutes whilst we wondered what the fuck was going on, and when, after scrutinising the replays looking for a foul, any foul, they finally give the goal we could then all clap politely at the 'fairness' of it all

Yes, it would've been.

To flip your scenario around; Would you say that having var for that goal would've improved the 'moment'?

With var, the complete joy,excitement, drama of what was without doubt the best end to a title race ever would have been killed stone dead. Sure we could all have held our breath and sat on our hands for 5 minutes whilst we wondered what the fuck was going on, and when, after scrutinising the replays looking for a foul, any foul, they finally give the goal we could then all clap politely at the 'fairness' of it all

we have seen many dramatic late winners go to VAR and once the goal given the fans are ecstatic

I get it can be frustrating and tedious waiting for the review but that is for me a lot better than a lino or ref unsure at a decision and making the wrong call, if the lino wrongly flagged for Aguero's winner that would have been an absolute travesty and we should rightly find ways to reduce bad decisions - not accept them.

we have seen many dramatic late winners go to VAR and once the goal given the fans are ecstatic

I get it can be frustrating and tedious waiting for the review but that is for me a lot better than a lino or ref unsure at a decision and making the wrong call, if the lino wrongly flagged for Aguero's winner that would have been an absolute travesty and we should rightly find ways to reduce bad decisions - not accept them.
It's the pay-off for eradicating bad decisions that gets me. It takes too much out of the game and is changing player behaviour on the pitch that, at times, reduces the game to a farce.

Clear and obvious errors are what it was brought in to eradicate and therefore improve the game and decisions.
I believe VAR does have a role to play and we would all agree has got a lot of decisions correct that otherwise would not have been.
But
1.By definition it does not take 4/5mins to spot a clear and obvious error.
2. Inconsistent VAR decisions often in the same game are undermining its benefits
3. Not transparent nobody including officials know what is going on.

Just my thoughts after a few beers.

It's the pay-off for eradicating bad decisions that gets me. It takes too much out of the game and is changing player behaviour on the pitch that, at times, reduces the game to a farce.

it can be a farce at times, I want VAR as Refs/Linos get it embarrassingly wrong - just hope with time VAR can improve the speed of decisions

it would be interesting to see peoples views on if we should keep var or now. I suspect everyones fed up with it despite the clear improvements it could have made
I don't think VAR can ever win over the haters like me. We were told about a referee sat in front of a monitor but never about his boss, a match commander. We still know nothing about this role despite the controversial, nay outrageous decision he gave against us. No matter what is now brought in, I will never trust the people in charge of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.