VAR thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this poll be interesting/informative for those active in the VAR discussion?

“Would VAR be substantially improved by live officiating team audio comms being made available to fans in stadium and watching on TV?

‘Yes’
‘No’

Would this poll be interesting/informative for those active in the VAR discussion?

“Would VAR be substantially improved by live officiating team audio comms being made available to fans in stadium and watching on TV?

‘Yes’
‘No’
No

‘Yes’
‘No’

Not sure it could be worse tbh, but I am sure there are others who will disagree, but we hardly have a concensus as it is.

When will the question be addressed by the FL/FA and other authorities is a totally different question however, and many will ask why that is.

But it is not fair some cup games have var and others do , that is not a level playing field

I’m not disputing it’s a valid opinion. I’m not really fussed either way but I can see the counter argument. Why should virtually all the games in the latter stages be denied using the available technology just because it wasn’t possible to use it in all earlier rounds?

‘Yes’
‘No’
Yes

And yes

Is it a level playing field if some games are televised and some are not ?

what are they not showing us if we can't see it live ?!!!

either show every single match live or don't show any

‘Yes’
‘No’
Poll posted.

I voted ‘Yes’ — I think it is a necessary (but not sufficient) element of reform to improve overall confidence in VAR (and officiating in general).

Is it a level playing field if some games are televised and some are not ?

what are they not showing us if we can't see it live ?!!!

either show every single match live or don't show any
That is entirely different to some matches having VAR and some not in the same competition.

One is related to accessing the spectacle of a given match based on who is playing, the other is quite literally having a different ruleset for a given match based on who is playing.

They are not remotely equivalent.

These circular arguments are doing my head in.

The position that the 90% of not-insane posters have, I think, is this:

* VAR was introduced with good intentions (as was FFP originally!)
* it has had some benefits: eg the number of outrageously wrong decisions has decreased significantly (which was the whole point at the beginning), some player behaviour has changed for the better.

On the other hand,

* implementation in the PL has lacked consistency (for example: VAR judgement rather than referee review, similar incidents in different games giving different outcomes, objective decisions Vs subjective, VAR set-ups at different grounds etc).
* implementation has lacked transparency and will do until ref/VAR comms are made available in real time.
* the combination of inconsistency and opacity leads naturally in a football fan environment to accusations of bias/incompetence/corruption for whatever reason.
* there has been a negative effect on match-going experience: spontaneity of goal celebrations, confusion over VAR reviews, VAR-related delays, etc.

We can also probably agree that even if VAR was perfect we would still argue about decisions because some people don't, or don't want to, understand some rules.

Is that fair?
That seems very fair and balanced to me, and largely sums up my feelings about VAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.