VAR (Video assisted refereeing)

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by greasedupdeafguy, 21 Aug 2017.

1. greasedupdeafguy

greasedupdeafguy

Be trialled all around Europe at the moment and its an utter shambles. I can see it killing football as we know it in the next 10-20 years.

2. BJL_City

BJL_City

it's not difficult to get right, they just want to make it bollocks so they can ditch it and pretend it doesn't work.

Ref should have sent it upstairs when the foul happened. Just give the penalty and go "is there any reason I can't give it", and you can only go back the 10/20 seconds.

When it comes here they'll make a farce of it and then go back to screwing us over in the big games as usual.

3. Cobra

Cobra

Yeah it's the ref's fault in that video above, not sure how you can blame the system itself.

4. richardtheref

richardtheref

It is a right shambles at the moment as witnessed at the Confederations cup. I also watched a game from Australia where the video ref over ruled the on field team 7 times. Just undermined the refs authority even more than normal. A lot of the calls were matters of opinion but the video ref had last say. At least if a ref makes a mistake he has only one view of it. From what i have seen the VAR just makes things worse as he has multiple views of it and still does not always come up with a correct outcome.

5. Fred_Quimby

Fred_Quimby

Have watched VAR in cricket and I agree with the commentators that the system, over time, has improved the decision making by the umpires. No reason to suggest that it will not improve the decision making by football referees. We live in hope as it has been a shambles over the last few years.

6. Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

I noticed on the Beeb website over the weekend there were a couple of VAR pens in the Bundesliga. Can't we just see a certain team benefitting but this time it won't be Old Mother Riley but the VAR making the award!

7. KentBlue

KentBlue

Glad it's not just me who sees it as a cynical ploy by the authorities to ensure it's never used.
    Some of the most bizarre refereeing decisions took place in the recent Confederations Cup, despite VAR being used. The whole system of video refereeing came across as farcical and shambolic, something so ill-conceived that it would immediately be discarded and the officials would be allowed to continue to make the rules up as they go along.
    It's been used in other sports like cricket and rugby for years and years with no problems, and it's been used in gymnastics, swimming, and field events for years as well with no apparent problems, yet the moment it's used in football it's a total fuck-up?

Nah. Something wrong somewhere.

8. TonyM

TonyM

Remember the panic when goalies couldn't pickup the back-pass? Peoples' minds may explode for a while and all sort of stupidity occur but then it'll settle.

9. KentBlue

KentBlue

I watched the old FA Cup Final from 1970 (Chelsea vs Leeds) the other night, and at the first back-pass to the keeper I thought: "WTF are you doing"?

10. mccity

mccity

Without sounding too scornful about this, anyone who watches the recent failings on VAR and blames it on the system is a backwards thinking tool. If people can't see that what's not working is the continued incompetence of referees then they need their heads checking.