VE DAY

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by give it to gordon, 7 May 2020.

1. EL APACHE TEVEZ

EL APACHE TEVEZ

Is VJ Day a bank holiday PC ??

2. Ourman

Ourman

Team supported:
    Manchester City
    VJ day has not been made a bank holiday. A petition to have it as a national day, ie not a holiday but marked, was turned down by the government, thus the forgotten army will remain forgotten by a large number people.

3. BJL_City

BJL_City

And thank you Alan Turing and the undersung heroes of Bletchley Park who never got the kudos and recognition they deserved.

Bovril and bigstanhibbert like this.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. Mazzarelli's Swiss Cheese

Mazzarelli's Swiss Cheese

Team supported:
    FC Zurich (and city of course)
    Probably due to the Govt not wanting to lose millions from the country having another day off. Obviously this was before we all had to have a couple of months off, and the virus may yet out paid to most work on Vj day anyway.

5. EL APACHE TEVEZ

EL APACHE TEVEZ

Bastards

6. twosips

twosips

Am I missing something here or do most people usually do nowt for this? I honestly can't remember the last time it was celebrated like this. Not a dig, not trying to be disrespectful or anything, just honestly surprised/curious. People are talking like it being celebrated by loads is a normal thing and I genuinely can't recall any time previously that its had this much attention. Have I been just hiding under a rock? Confused!

7. Gaylord du Bois

Gaylord du Bois

Every 25 years is fairly normal. It's a bit like Dday in that respect.

8. Pablo1

Pablo1

I presume because 75 is a milestone number. Usually you’d get 2 minutes silence and that’s it.

9. Mëtal Bikër

Mëtal Bikër

I remember 1995. Whole school did a months work of rememberance, activities and ended in a huge garden party.

Back then I used to think this was something we celebrated every 5 years or so.

10. BigOscar

BigOscar

Nope, but it's the 75th anniversary so they built a whole thing around it this year, including moving the bank holiday from May Day to Friday. Then it all had to be cancelled anyway.

twosips likes this.