VE DAY

The reason the russians joined the allies was because hitler invaded russia.
And were getting their arses handed to them. By the spring of 1942, Hitler had some juicy reinforcements heading to Moscow.

But what's this? Damn, those pesky Yanks have just joined the Brits who are in North Africa...and they're WINNING! Shite! The oil! Send half of them to reinforce Rommel's Afrika Corps! Rest is history.

Churchill (I think) said something on the lines of "Britain provided the time, America provided the cash, and Russia provided the blood." Whoever said it it's a good analysis of why the Nazis got beat.

Probably due to the Govt not wanting to lose millions from the country having another day off. Obviously this was before we all had to have a couple of months off, and the virus may yet out paid to most work on Vj day anyway.
The request was not for a days holiday but just for it to be recognised as a 'day' which it currently isn't. This is why they are known as the 'Forgotten Army '.

I wonder why this Anniversary is suddenly so popular? Don't remember the 50th or 25th unless I fell asleep. Got nothing to do with building up the nation for Brexit by any chance?
50th we had nationwide street parties! I was 13 but remember ours going on to the early hours and me and a few others had sneaked a few of our Dad’s beers, Union Jacks down every street.

50th we had nationwide street parties! I was 13 but remember ours going on to the early hours and me and a few others had sneaked a few of our Dad’s beers, Union Jacks down every street.
You are imagining it,
I was still teaching then and it wasn’t even mentioned in schools.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.