Veganism

Sorry, but this is anthropomorphic misty eyed nonsense, it carries an assumption that the act of killing
and consuming must be inherently bad because I've decided it is, and so needs some sort of post evolutionary
justification for it to be acceptable. Carnivores, and Omnivores eat meat because it's the fastest way to gain
complex nutrients, but because of their efficiency in so doing, they sacrifice the luxury of numbers,
and so, with the exception of man, remain minorities.
A pride of lions will make one large kill of a wildebeest, then feed on it and not need to hunt again for some
time, the wildebeest have been fashioned and conditioned to realise this and will amble past lions, knowing they won't
be attacked.
Evolution is not stupid.

Suffering is inherently bad, yes. It is bad regardless of your/anyone's opinion. To recognize the inherent waste and brutality in nature, that it has been going on for an estimated 300,000,000 years with no grand purpose, well then sorry, I think any rational person would label that 'stupid' A stupid system with too much loss for too little gain.

first-rule-of-vegan-club.jpg

Suffering is inherently bad, yes. It is bad regardless of your/anyone's opinion. To recognize the inherent waste and brutality in nature, that it has been going on for an estimated 300,000,000 years with no grand purpose, well then sorry, I think any rational person would label that 'stupid' A stupid system with too much loss for too little gain.

The fact it's survived for 300 million years shows it has a purpose and reason, otherwise it would have died out.

I'm no yoghurt knitter, but I can see the argument for a vegetarianism. You can feed more people per hectare of land with cereals/soya than you can if you use that land for cattle. Plus, if you factor in the land required for growing the food to feed the cattle, and the comparable CO2 output, then the figures are even greater in favour of veggie's.

The greatest problem we face is there are too many people for the planet to sustain our current lifestyle.

Cutting down on meat comsumption world wide would be good for the enviroment, but a completely meat free world would also be an economic and enviromental disaster also.

A balanced diet and eating habits is whats needed, it worked for millions of years previous.
The question is if science can grow lifeless meat in a lab that isn't conscious or doesn't feel pain on a grand affordable scale would vegies and vegans then be able to enjoy bacon muffins?

Cutting down on meat comsumption world wide would be good for the enviroment, but a completely meat free world would also be an economic and enviromental disaster also.

A balanced diet and eating habits is whats needed, it worked for millions of years previous.
The question is if science can grow lifeless meat in a lab that isn't conscious or doesn't feel pain on a grand affordable scale would vegies and vegans then be able to enjoy bacon muffins?

Yes but they would light a candle for the yeast killed in production of the muffin :)

The fact it's survived for 300 million years shows it has a purpose and reason, otherwise it would have died out.

Reason? I suppose you could say it has a purpose, or better, a crude function. The replicating DNA molecule came first and it's from that process which has ultimately created sentient organisms eating each other on an island planet. There is no reason, it is a blind mechanism, a dumb contest for energy at base. Certainly, as I said, it has no grand purpose in 'mind' in the sense that it doesn't 'care' how much waste it creates along the way.

I'm no yoghurt knitter, but I can see the argument for a vegetarianism. You can feed more people per hectare of land with cereals/soya than you can if you use that land for cattle. Plus, if you factor in the land required for growing the food to feed the cattle, and the comparable CO2 output, then the figures are even greater in favour of veggie's.

The greatest problem we face is there are too many people for the planet to sustain our current lifestyle.

You can kill more people with carbs than you can with protein and fat. We do not need to eat any carbs at all. We can quite happily manufacture what little glucose we need via gluconeogenesis of lipids (fat). For everything else Ketone bodies are more efficient than glucose.

Feed everyone carbs and you have a fat diabetic population who require vast amounts of resources just to keep them alive. Feed everyone much lower quantities of Fat and Protein and you have a healthy population.

You can kill more people with carbs than you can with protein and fat. We do not need to eat any carbs at all. We can quite happily manufacture what little glucose we need via gluconeogenesis of lipids (fat). For everything else Ketone bodies are more efficient than glucose.

Feed everyone carbs and you have a fat diabetic population who require vast amounts of resources just to keep them alive. Feed everyone much lower quantities of Fat and Protein and you have a healthy population.
What he said!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.