Vegetarians - Meat replacements

My 'then wife' and I tried going pescatarian a couple of years ago. We were living in Lancaster very close to a halal slaughter house and we were constantly seeing the big wagons full of sheep going in and then coming out empty again. I couldn't get the images out of my head so we gave it a go but I found the plant based side of the diet to be absolutely crippling with my IBS. It gave me chronic wind and bloating and I felt miserable too often. Also the cost of fish was just ridiculous! I wanted to make a curry and needed some firm, meaty fish that wouldn't fall apart but the price of things like Monkfish was just crazy. In the end we went back to meat eating but now I'm single and living on a very tight budget I would love to cut meat out again.
Does anybody else have IBS but manage being a vegetarian without the side effects of the fibre?

My 'then wife' and I tried going pescatarian a couple of years ago. We were living in Lancaster very close to a halal slaughter house and we were constantly seeing the big wagons full of sheep going in and then coming out empty again. I couldn't get the images out of my head so we gave it a go but I found the plant based side of the diet to be absolutely crippling with my IBS. It gave me chronic wind and bloating and I felt miserable too often. Also the cost of fish was just ridiculous! I wanted to make a curry and needed some firm, meaty fish that wouldn't fall apart but the price of things like Monkfish was just crazy. In the end we went back to meat eating but now I'm single and living on a very tight budget I would love to cut meat out again.
Does anybody else have IBS but manage being a vegetarian without the side effects of the fibre?
Yeah same bloated me terrible and felt constipated. I just have a bit of everything nowadays good quality grass fed organic meat I tend to go for. I stay away from soy or wheaten based ham or sausage alternatives etc

Its a really good point about the mind. I have never read that much into it but yes my moods have become more consistent and generally am a much happier person. Whether that is the diet, exercise or a combination of the two I don't know.

With regards food my neighbour seems to have bacon butties on the go most weekends and I do still love the smell. Also I often think about liver and onions, bit bizarre that one as It was something I ate very infrequently, like maybe once a year before going veggie.

Incidentally I was on a bit of a veggie/runners high yesterday. I came up for the match saturday and then ran a half marathon up in Cheshire yesterday and then drove back 250 miles to my home down south afterwards. I ran it around 10 mins quicker than I did in my 20s and woke up this morning without any aches or pains. Even in my 20s that would not have happened.
I think eating healthy and regular exercise is definitely good for one's mind and keeps the serotonin level on an even equilibrium.

As for meat cooking and smelling appetising I'd say the best meaty smell i can ever remember was my gran cooking a leg of roast lamb in the oven when i was a nipper. Wow! Ah Bisto, no ah Lambo! I think it must have been the quality of meat being a lot better back then.

Well done on the half marathon mate, really impressive you shaving 10 minutes off your best time in your 20s.

I shaved 2 minutes off my best chippy run the udder day; ) lol.

I used to be a really good runner in my youth but i discovered pies and ale since then and i run like Mr Blobby nowadays.
tesco-cushelle.gif
: )

Im similar with the plant power thing on the running, Ive been vegan now for about 2 and a half years, and am fitter now at 45 than I ever was, I make a smoothie in the morning with lots of berries, seeds, greens and beetroot in and it sets you off nicely for the day.
I will say about the meat replacements that I went from october to the start of January using them to make quick meals and felt my energy levels drop a lot, Ive knocked them on the head now and am back to using just plants for meals and the difference is huge.
Maybe its just me, but the way all the big names are jumping on the bandwagon with the meat replacement stuff is just a way for them to grab your cash, all the mass produced stuff is full of all kinds of shite, fancy junk food if you like, and apparently worse for you than if you just cracked on eating dead dogs.

Great to hear Gaz. I must admit I am only half way down the road with convenience being the main reason I sometimes turn to the meat replacements. Probably in a half way house at the minute. Will take more notice of the ingredients from now on though. The transition from Veggie to Vegan might be the next step, spoke to a few vegan runners and they have highlighted the improvements once making that transition.

As I have not posted yet on the running thread got in the Top 20 for the over 45s (Time 1:29) in a ridiculously fast field at the 4 villages half. Great event by the way if you fancy a decent half in January, in the future.

Last edited:
Best bean burger I've tried from a burger joint was from Wimpey in Piccadilly in late 80s. I tried one expecting it to taste awful but was really tasty and satisfying.

On the advice of a mate and @franksinatra i watched The Game Changers on Netflix, thanks guys.

All I'll say is that it has made me think differently to my meat eating ways, and I'll try to seek out vegetarian/vegan food in future at the expense of eating a meat based meal. I think stopping eating meat will be gradual for me because i enjoy eating meat. Worth watching the programme

Really glad you watched it and, like all things, there is often a spin, but It is certainly thought provoking.

Not sure if its mentioned on Game Changers but arguably the greatest distance runner (50 miles plus) of all time (Scott Jurek) has been promoting veganism from the 80s onwards. I read his book Eat and Run and found it incredibly inspiring. Its a very popular way if life in the Running community and there is clearly a reason for that.

Sounds like I missed out on the bean burger, I was still being refuelled with sherbert lemons and gob stoppers through that decade.

Great to hear Gaz. I must admit I am only half way down the road with convenience being the main reason I sometimes turn to the meat replacements. Probably in a half way house at the minute. Will take more notice of the ingredients from now on though. The transition from Veggie to Vegan might be the next step, spoke to a few vegan runners and they have highlighted the improvements once making that transition.

As I have not posted yet on the running thread got in the Top 20 for the over 45s (Time 1:29) in a ridiculously fast field at the 4 villages half. Great event by the way if you fancy a decent half in January, in the future.
Crackin time that mate, I will have to look out for that half next year.
I was the same with the convenience eating, but have been trying out a "if you cant cook it dont buy it" mantra, its working for me so far, seem to have miles more energy than when I just eat all the usual pre made vegan shite, have ran 250km already this year and its starting to get enjoyable again after a bit of a slump.
Theres two Irish erm... "friends" called the happy pear that have a great youtube channel/website for plant based recipes they usually quick and easy to make, well worth checking out if you havent already

you mean like this lot...

I only jest.

Of course a Vegetarian can excel withing their chosen discipline,as your examples and others ate testament.However,many also use other supplements/enhancers and have the very best advisers/coaches/nutritionists and chefs on hand.

I'll never believe a meat free existence is optimal,but each to their own.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.