Very Slow Internet on Wireless Desktop

orangupingu_mcfc

About 2-3 weeks ago the wireless connection on my desktop was working fine. However, for about a week, the speed is extremely slow, with connections timing out left, right and centre, and if I try to download anything, it slows to around 10kbps.

The tray icons show that my wireless connection is full strength, although I know this doesn't really represent the connection speed. My router is 2 floors down from the desktop, directly underneath, but I've had no problems before.

I've used my iPhone wirelessly whilst right next to my desktop, but that has been fine too, so it's just the desktop. Wired connections are fine.

I've also run a virus scan (although only with the free AVG) and it's come up with nothing. I've reinstalled the USB dongle too, but that didn't work. My USB3 drivers need updating, which I tried to download but the internet just packed in completely, but the dongle is connected via USB2, so it can't be that.

Anyone have any ideas?

clear all temp internet files on your desktop.
turn off desktop.
reboot your router.
restart computer.

if that doesnt work, try another free AV like : microsoft security essentials, avast, or avira (uninstall AVG first)
just to double check for a possible virus.
then repeat above.

Cheers.

I unistalled AVG and installed Avast and it's done the trick, I'm now D/Ling at 700-800kbps, which is the speed I usually get.

I'm running a scan with Avast just to make sure I've not got anything nasty though, but my PC looks clean so far.

Any ideas as to why AVG just decided to kill my internet?

Any ideas as to why AVG just decided to kill my internet?

Possibly a version update making the program work differenlty , or it could be that AVG uses a 'safe search' technology whereby it will scan sites and links before you open the page. That type of analytical behaviour would impact the time your browser takes to load a web page.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.