Video editing

I edit for a living also. Mostly AVID but the past few years I've been using Resolve as well. I think for what @brooklandsblue2.0 needs though it's waaayyy overkill and a steep learning curve. Definitely a huge step-up in all aspects from the other freebie editors mentioned...but I would stick to those for now.

I sort of agree, but most NLEs work in the same basic way. They have added is a new "CUT" tab that is basic cutdown of the "edit" tab so that may help. You are right though, it is overkill, but it's free to so no loss if it's a bit much. Avid is starting to feel a bit archaic to me know after trying to learn other NLEs over lockdown, although I'm so bloody slow on premiere and Resolve! Resolve is mental bang for your buck though. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the Studio version, as I grade as-well and for 240 quid its a steal!

It will probably look really scary and overbearing when you first open it, and there will be tons of stuff in there you simply won't use or need to use but if you just use the "edit" part of it I think you would be ok, mainly due to the extremely clear and useful tutorial they have on their website. I literally used it last week and it was really clear to follow. You could even just watch the first 5 mins of it where it just covers the fundamental's. If you try it and it's a bit much then you can always try one of the simpler free ones. Nothing lost!
Sorry, should just have linked this. This is the tutorial. Have a watch, If it looks too complicated to you then obviously go for one of the more basic ones, but I thought it was a good well explained slow-paced walkthrough and you may only need the first parts for what you want to do.
It's the introduction to video editing video you want, you can download it and also download the video assets so you can edit along with the video and practice.

I sort of agree, but most NLEs work in the same basic way. They have added is a new "CUT" tab that is basic cutdown of the "edit" tab so that may help. You are right though, it is overkill, but it's free to so no loss if it's a bit much. Avid is starting to feel a bit archaic to me know after trying to learn other NLEs over lockdown, although I'm so bloody slow on premiere and Resolve! Resolve is mental bang for your buck though. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the Studio version, as I grade as-well and for 240 quid its a steal!

I still prefer Avid, mostly because I'm so familiar with it...like driving my car :) Resolve has some neat features though that's for sure. I wish Avid could implement Resolve's stabilizer! Colour correction is also leaps better. Remember if you upgrade to Studio you can only have one version on your system - it's not a case of just upgrading the free version.

Filmora, Sony vegas, Adobe Premier, Blender (free option, 3d focus makes it more specific and not really for beginners), Shotcut (free option), Lightworks (free option).

All of them are good, some are more powerful than others but all are more than enough for beginners. Avidemux is a nice tool to for beginner work where cutting and some simple filtering is all that is needed. Mediacoder is also good to start with, it is more focussed on transcoding but has tools and features a beginner would not be overwhelmed with, it's free to.

thanks mate. Currently waiting looking out the window for my laptop to arrive like a kid on Xmas eve!

only question is (and you’ve sort of alluded to it)... is it going to be very complicated to use from someone with zero experience of this kind of thing?

the sort of videos I’m planning are me stood up in the kitchen filmed on my iPhone giving some advice / updates etc? I’ve done them before in one take but it’s a ball ache so I’d like to be able to slice out the bits where I stutter etc.

Any other advice would be greatly
Well, you've quickly learned how to cut out the end of text scripts. It shouldn't be much harder with videos.

I still prefer Avid, mostly because I'm so familiar with it...like driving my car :) Resolve has some neat features though that's for sure. I wish Avid could implement Resolve's stabilizer! Colour correction is also leaps better. Remember if you upgrade to Studio you can only have one version on your system - it's not a case of just upgrading the free version.

Ah, cheers for that! Was not aware you could only run one version! I also much prefer Avid, but like you its because have used it for the last 20 years so know it pretty well and all the workarounds and quirks! I have the Baselight for Avid plugin for grading too which is really good and thoroughly recommend. Just learning resolve at home for my own hobbyist videography work really, and may need to fall back on that as Covid as really hit my specific business and the TV industry as a whole in the is country is on a slide!

I hope so mate. Laptop has arrived and I’m going to research which software to use / learn to edit this afternoon. Might even post the results on here :)

Great stuff!! Enjoy your new laptop! I love a shiny new tech toy! Just one quick piece of advise, its a bit obvious, but try not to get too frustrated. You will come across hurdles that will have you pulling your hair out, just take a break, relax and chances are someone has posted on a forum or YouTube some help. Stick with it, you are learning anew skill from scratch which is tricky! I still get frustrated to this day so I need to practice what I preach!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.