(Video) First Division + Premier League Points race (1888-2019)

BosnianBlue

Team supported
City
I've went through all 1st division history and made points bar race video. It's a nice thing to throw at anyone talking too much bullshit about history.

For ex. Rags never were in top 10 until late 1970s, and first time they went ahead of City was in 1984-85 season, helped by City entering the period of calamity and 3 points per win that started in 1980. It would be even better if I could adjust the wins before 1980. to 3 points as it would be more fair, Rags would finish below Everton and us above SPurs and Chelsea, but would be pretty fucking hard and time consuming as even this took 10+ hours to fill all data.

So, here it is:

Can't really call it a first division until 1892.

They absorbed the Football Alliance and expanded the English Football League with a second division by inviting more clubs like gods own club Manchester City(Ardwick AFC). Maybe that's being picky though, especially when it's only 5 years from 130+ years.

Last edited:
Not great seeing Chelsea or Spurs above City.
I understand if it took 10 hours, there's no easy way to edit it but maybe a screenshot at the end or a link to this:

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

The rag comparison is great but it also shows what I've said of the Spurs and Chelsea comparison to City(City not given enough credit). Spurs didn't even appear in the top 10 till the mid 80s and Chelsea the end of the 90s. It would be even later with the points before 1980 converted to 3 points as you say. I wonder where each of them would have entered it and the rags for that matter.

Last edited:
All perception about "bigishness" of football clubs is based on last 20-30 years of televized football. I had many discussions with KFA people here and they were shocked to hear me saying that Barcelona was fairly average in European football before this generation. They'd bet their lives on Barcelona always being the Messiutiful club. They just recall what they've seen in last 20 years, who was winning titles in that period and that's it - that are the big historic clubs.

It doesn't look as nice but the points adjustment can be done in code on this example.

https://towardsdatascience.com/how-to-do-that-animated-race-bar-chart-57f3a8ff27a8

Source code:
https://github.com/keithmcnulty/english_football_league

Seems like you'd just need to alter this bit:

Code:
england <- england %>%
  dplyr::mutate(
    homepts = dplyr::case_when(
      Season <= 1980 & result == "H" ~ 2,
      Season > 1980 & result == "H" ~ 3,
      result == "D" ~ 1,
      result == "A" ~ 0
    ),
    awaypts = dplyr::case_when(
      Season <= 1980 & result == "A" ~ 2,
      Season > 1980 & result == "A" ~ 3,
      result == "D" ~ 1,
      result == "H" ~ 0
    )
  )

Also add the 2018 and 2019 seasons to the data.

Anyone with experience of tidyverse packages should be able to do it.

Last edited:
Not great seeing Chelsea or Spurs above City.
I understand if it took 10 hours, there's no easy way to edit it but maybe a screenshot at the end or a link to this:

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

The rag comparison is great but it also shows what I've said of the Spurs and Chelsea comparison to City(City not given enough credit). Spurs didn't even appear in the top 10 till the mid 80s and Chelsea the end of the 90s. It would be even later with the points before 1980 converted to 3 points as you say. I wonder where each of them would have entered it and the rags for that matter.

No way to fix it now though I wrote explanation in video description. I thin I'm going to make goals scored one as that one fixes 2 or 3 points problems and we are in front of them. It makes Everton top too, haha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.