[VIDEO] Gary Neville Analyses our Defensive Issues [VIDEO]

Jumanji said:
salfordblues said:
Jumanji said:
The Balkan lads really fucked us indirectly. Oh well, learn and move on.

Not for me.

Fair analysis but I think the first goal was down to a De Jong mistake. His primary role is to protect the back four however as Neville says he's 5 yards out of position. Dzeko could have done better but De jong was the main culprit.

Second goal, I think Richards has got to hold his hands up. He's got the best view of it as Kolo is stuck in no mans land, with his heading prowess you'd expect him to win that one given his strong starting position.

Third goal, Kola and Vinny leave Kolo stranded.
I said indirectly. They weren't the only ones to blame. It was a collective effort, however you just saw Dzeko on multiple occasions failing to track back like Balotelli did. Had he, we might've not conceded two goals. Not his fault per se, but he does have an effect on the game.

I do agree that De Jong's positioning should have been much better and that disappoints me.
De Jong has never been good positionally. I said so last year and got cursed out for it. There is a difference between a guy who's positioning impedes the opposition, and a guy who hustles and tackles fiercely. De Jong has always been the latter, never really the former. But it is hard to explain without being in a room with someone pointing it out. I used to get heated anytime he didn't play and comments would ring out about how we were so open and easy to attack, something that wouldn't happen if De Jong was there. While in fact you watch the games De Jong played, and it happened constantly.

Unfortunately for a long time, the measurable stats (at least the most important one) goals conceded favored those who made the "De Jong keeps us safe in the back" argument. I often pointed out to no avail, that 1) the chances against created did not favor that claim, and worse the opposition faced skewed the data.

But it was a pointless argument last year, since most bought into it like a mantra. De Jong is good at doubleteaming. He is fantastic against players who hold on to the ball too long. and he is great at attacking loose balls. These are all fine qualities, but positionally he has always been average. He is best manmarking a dangerous opponent, than he is being a DM who reads the game. Barry has always been better at that. Even the interception stats, and blocks backed up that claim last year. But folks love to ignore stats when it doesn't support what they want to believe.

Now that there seems to be a growing discomfort with De Jong (including Blueprint's personal vendatta) folks seem more comfortable viewing him more objectively. while I deplore Blueprint's personal attacks on De Jong. I'd say it is about fucking time being objective about his game got here.

And we should be that way about ALL our players. Objective criticism for all. We should support them always, celebrate them when they excel and point out their flaws that make them vulnerable. That is true support in my opinion.

City have the best defence in the league, as it was last season along with Chelsea i think. To analise what is wrong with it is a bit rich in my opinion. Overall, there is nothing wrong with our defence, particularly at home where it has been nothing short of incredible. As we all know, its scoring goals away that is the real issue at the moment.

Our biggest defensive issue is half of them are sat in the stand after being suspended for nothing.

superwatsonwatson said:
City have the best defence in the league, as it was last season along with Chelsea i think. To analise what is wrong with it is a bit rich in my opinion. Overall, there is nothing wrong with our defence, particularly at home where it has been nothing short of incredible. As we all know, its scoring goals away that is the real issue at the moment.
Yes there is something wrong...but just for one particular game.

Thinking about it again, I was harsh on Richards. Although the 2nd was his fault he was involved in a heavy collision only a minute earlier and must have been somewhat disorientated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.