Video / Picture editing PC 1k budget

talkativesprout

My old man is in his 70s (you would never in a million years guess though) stuck in his ways wont buy parts to put together himself (via me) but will pay for bespoke shop to build it for him.

Recommendations please

Keep it under a grand if poss, This will be a max 4k non professional video editing build that keeps rendering times to a min (or allows him to carry on working whilst the pc is busy rendering a project.

Honestly, I think Apple's new M1 processors have just changed what the best computer you can get at this price point is.

I use a laptop, but I currently run a Ryzen 7 with 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD from this year, and I've just ordered a new M1 Macbook Air with just 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, because basically, when you actually test them, the new Macs render things faster.

For a desktop, I'd just go for the Mac Mini with a copy of Final Cut Pro and it'll be faster than anything else at the price point, particularly if you're using newer codecs like H.265 or editing 10bit 4K rather than 8bit. Get an external SSD (Samsung T5 or T7 are popular) to edit off, rather than paying Apple's rip-off upgrade prices and it should be perfect for his needs. Adobe haven't updated their software to the new chips yet, but they can still run faster than the previous generation Intel Macs running them natively, and it should become much faster when they do it properly. But for video editing, I'd be tempted to use Final Cut anyway, because it's the same price as 6 months of the Adobe CC video package. Or Davinci Resolve is available for free on the M1 Macs already.

Honestly, I think Apple's new M1 processors have just changed what the best computer you can get at this price point is.

I use a laptop, but I currently run a Ryzen 7 with 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD from this year, and I've just ordered a new M1 Macbook Air with just 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, because basically, when you actually test them, the new Macs render things faster.

For a desktop, I'd just go for the Mac Mini with a copy of Final Cut Pro and it'll be faster than anything else at the price point, particularly if you're using newer codecs like H.265 or editing 10bit 4K rather than 8bit. Get an external SSD (Samsung T5 or T7 are popular) to edit off, rather than paying Apple's rip-off upgrade prices and it should be perfect for his needs. Adobe haven't updated their software to the new chips yet, but they can still run faster than the previous generation Intel Macs running them natively, and it should become much faster when they do it properly. But for video editing, I'd be tempted to use Final Cut anyway, because it's the same price as 6 months of the Adobe CC video package. Or Davinci Resolve is available for free on the M1 Macs already.

I’m contemplating replacing my 2011 iMac and was looking at a MacBook but I’m now drawn to the Mac Mini with the M1 chip... Waiting for an up to date price list from Sync in Manchester as they are starting to get the M1’s in... They’re a reseller I think so I guess they are customer returns??

Is this the best time to try to build a computer?

For sure, it's awful for a high end build - I'm willing to spend 3K or so.

There's currently a chip shortage affecting graphics cards and microprocessors - which might ameliorate 1st quarter next year.

I really wanted to build a new computer - my current CPU is circa 2012 - and is out-of-date for certain applications (VR, sheer computational power).

But the CPU I want and the graphics card I want are not at all available for retail price - there's currently a 4-fold or so price multiplier for the graphics cards I'm interested in.
===
Maybe with a 1K budget things aren't so bad... but if processors/graphics cards are overpriced in this price range too, you may well be best served waiting 6 months or so to build a computer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.