Video Technology

the-ecstacy-of-eight

Team supported
CITY
So, in light of "several" blatantly wrong decisions that have cost us, and other clubs, points and wrongful suspensions for innocent players this season, the need for the use of video technology seems, to my mind, to be overwhelming. The problem obviously isn't that the technology needs to be developed, as it is clearly out there already, the only issue as far as I am concerned is WHEN should it be used? Clearly (?) it can't be used for ALL decisions, due to football not being a "stop-start" sport, but could its use be introduced initially and limited for certain "match changing" cases such as red card decisions and for ALL goals, or could it?

If I'm honest I'm undecided, as for me, it's pretty much an all or nothing thing as ALL in match decisions have a sort of knock on effect during the game. ie - A wrongly given offside/onside decision leads to a save, which leads to a corner, which leads to a goal....etc.

And in my mind the referee on the pitch needs to still be in control and not replaced by a TV monitor watching off-field ref who makes all the decisions and relays them to the on field "puppet".

It's a tricky one.

Would the us of technology open up a huge can of worms or could it be workable? Thoughts please.

the-ecstacy-of-eight said:
So, in light of "several" blatantly wrong decisions that have cost us, and other clubs, points and wrongful suspensions for innocent players this season, the need for the use of video technology seems, to my mind, to be overwhelming. The problem obviously isn't that the technology needs to be developed, as it is clearly out there already, the only issue as far as I am concerned is WHEN should it be used? Clearly (?) it can't be used for ALL decisions, due to football not being a "stop-start" sport, but could its use be introduced initially and limited for certain "match changing" cases such as red card decisions and for ALL goals, or could it?

If I'm honest I'm undecided, as for me, it's pretty much an all or nothing thing as ALL in match decisions have a sort of knock on effect during the game. ie - A wrongly given offside/onside decision leads to a save, which leads to a corner, which leads to a goal....etc.

And in my mind the referee on the pitch needs to still be in control and not replaced by a TV monitor watching off-field ref who makes all the decisions and relays them to the on field "puppet".

It's a tricky one.

Would the us of technology open up a huge can of worms or could it be workable? Thoughts please.

Video refereeing like in Rugby. Easily done. Will it happen soon? Probably not.

Each captain could have one appeal in each half, if the appeal is upheld then the appeal count stays at zero. This would stop frivolous appeals and mean that they would only be used when the captain perceived a real injustice had been done.

That means the referee controls the match as they do at the moment and the replays are only used as the result of a captain's appeal.

Borrow an idea from NFL where they use a flag - a coloured cloth with a weight. Flag thrown in NFL by judge / umpire / ref so not exactly the same.
Manager could have one flag per half to call for video appeal.
Penalty not given? Manager throws the flag within say 1 or 2 seconds and tells fourth official why. Fourth official tells ref on headset. Next break in play ref calls for video review telling video ref how he saw it and video ref makes the call.
Win the appeal and keep the challenge.
Lose it and lose the challenge.
Wouldn't get artificial break in play and game would still flow.
Would get fewer cockups like sending wrong player off and missing basketball handballs.

I can't see how getting captains and/or managers involved will ever be allowed, it just muddies the waters further IMO. I watch a lot of American Football and their "flags" system works due to the nature of that particular sport, but for football I just can't see how it could ever work, frivolous appeals left right and centre, and why should it be down to 1 each, it'll still leave us with unjust decisions.

ie Last night, Palace's attack in the first minute, I counted three players offside as the cross came over, all three went for the ball before Zaha hit it over the bar and no flag was raised. If he'd have scored, there goes your appeal. Then there's their first offside goal. Then there's the handball/penalty. We'd still be moaning that the referee missed the contentious decisions. It's got to be more rigorous.

There's got to be a more workable solution which just involves the officials, there just has to be!

PS - Jimharri, if I'd have posted any of this last night it would've ALL been in capitals and there would have been a fair smattering of *s and !s in there as well, just in order to make it child friendly :)

moon said:
How long would the game have been delayed last night checking Palace's first goal
They were still unsure 20 or so minutes after the game ended

The game would only be delayed seconds. Last night the offside could have been called either way but within seconds, the handball would have been given.

dark 'n stormy said:
moon said:
How long would the game have been delayed last night checking Palace's first goal
They were still unsure 20 or so minutes after the game ended

The game would only be delayed seconds. Last night the offside could have been called either way but within seconds, the handball would have been given.

I agree with you, both decisions could easily have been looked at by a fifth (?) official who is sat in front of a screen wired up to the ref's ear piece, but my real issue is which decisions should this technology be used for? Surely not every decision as this would drastically slow the match down to to a snail's pace and ruin the flow of football. If the technology is to be introduced/trialed it needs to be brought in for specific decisions which do not add extra stoppages to the game.

1) All goals to be looked at to see if any infringement has occurred
2) All penalty appeals to see if a dive or a foul has taken place
3) All red card decisions.

All of these occurrences have (or could have) a natural stop in play, and as you said, all could be decided in seconds.

Are these the only times video technology should be used?

we have had decisions go in our favour as well.

last night showed how hard it is for officials. the offside was very hard to give and oliver was unsighted by the handball. however this is why video technology needs to be brought in.

the 4th official could easily be watching a monitor or bring in a 5th official. he can radio down the message. its handball. give a penalty. football is in the stone ages regarding technology for some reason.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.