General Videogame Thread

Has anyone played games on an Nvidia Shield here? been thinking about getting one but Android games are not the best and the selection Nvidia have doesn't seem amazing. I know you cam stream games from PC, but i don't have a PC, my brother does but it has an AMD card in it and you need an Nvidia card to stream.

Has anyone played games on an Nvidia Shield here? been thinking about getting one but Android games are not the best and the selection Nvidia have doesn't seem amazing. I know you cam stream games from PC, but i don't have a PC, my brother does but it has an AMD card in it and you need an Nvidia card to stream.
There very few decent native android ports and the controller is crap, although you can use an xbox pad instead.
PC streaming is OK but a steam link is £20 and better. Gamestreaming worked ok but not worth it beyond the free 3 months and you can't transfer the game saves.
I sold mine and use an xbox for games and firetv for streaming. Much better.

There very few decent native android ports and the controller is crap, although you can use an xbox pad instead.
PC streaming is OK but a steam link is £20 and better. Gamestreaming worked ok but not worth it beyond the free 3 months and you can't transfer the game saves.
I sold mine and use an xbox for games and firetv for streaming. Much better.
For streaming it shits on the Fire TV, the Shield is super fast without all of Amazons bollocks clogging up your interface. The controllers have been updated for the 2017 models and they are much better than previous offerings, they aren't perfect but it's all about preference - I prefer a PS4 controller which pairs effortlessly to the Shield TV.
PC streaming works perfectly but I have a decent laptop with a top spec Nvidia card so I find it as good as playing a console. I stream games from emulators on my laptop to my Shield with no problems - you can even do it via Steam at no cost.
GEForce Now (the free library for a monthly subscription) is only available for 1 month free as opposed to 3 free months previously available and I've found it to be above average, sure the games aren't the very latest but there are 60 or so available for £7.49 a month and if you are someone who is happy to play games you may have missed upon release then it suits. You can still purchase additional later released games as well. I never had a network issue whilst streaming but I've suspended my subscription because I'm doing some decorating so I haven't used it for a few weeks.
Retroarch can also be added to the Shield to run emulators as well and due to the shield's power-it can run things that the raspberry pi/other emulator devices will struggle to (PS1, N64). I've set mine up with HyperSpin because I like retro games.

I'm quite enjoying my Shield TV tbh.

For gaming it has the same problem as the tv, not enough ports. If you want to play games on the go/bog get a switch.
Ah I'm fine with the PC for the occasional game personally, I was wondering if it would be worth convincing my old man to get a sheild tablet instead of a new console. It seems like it's too expensive and not enough games on their streaming service though from what I've heard so far.

The potential is big there though(if it works as they say), think of all the classics they could bring to a new audience as part of the monthly fee perhaps, if they weren't just going for the newest COD and the like.

The switch uses the same Nvidia Tegra X1 processor found in the Shield TV ;-)
The Sheild's got a higher clock speed if I remember right even in the Sheild K1. Still you are paying to be able to play the Nintendo games with the Switch.

Last edited:
Ah I'm fine with the PC for the occasional game personally, I was wondering if it would be worth convincing my old man to get a sheild tablet instead of a new console. It seems like it's too expensive and not enough games on their streaming service though from what I've heard so far.

The potential is big there though(if it works as they say), think of all the classics they could bring to a new audience as part of the monthly fee perhaps, if they weren't just going for the newest COD and the like.
That's exactly the idea, they are working to get a better, broader collection of games on their service. For instance Ubisoft are adding some of their back catalogue soon.
Streaming is flawless if your internet is fast enough (mines 60 download) but I've wired mine to my router rather than going the wifi route, I did the same to use PlayStation now for streaming on PS4.

The Sheild's got a higher clock speed if I remember right even in the Sheild K1. Still you are paying to be able to play the Nintendo games with the Switch.
Only the limited collection of Switch games. I've hacked a Wii U so I've got every game ever released from NES to Wii U.
I've had a look at the switch but it isn't tempting enough yet and the on the go bit doesn't really fit my lifestyle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.