General Videogame Thread

Anyone else sick of all the loot boxes/micro-transactions in games these days? It's a disgrace! Developers purposely making games a grind to encourage players to buy in game currency with real money. This shit has gotta stop asap. The new Star Wars game would be ok if it weren't for the loot boxes (crates). You see this shit pulled in nearly every game released now. The new NBA live game has loot boxes and you can't even edit or create players/rosters...seriously, wtf!

Online multiplayer has ruined gaming for me. I'm concerned for Red Dead 2 and the future GTA games. I've always loved the single player campaigns but even Rockstar are realising the money is in the online modes and they are a letdown for me. GTA online is bang average imo but it gets all the attention/DLC nowadays. Single player campaigns allow for a lot more immersion and story but developers don't make continuous money off them once the initial game as been bought.

I've been a gamer my whole life but getting annoyed with the whole industry now. No creativity; all we get are sequels, fps games, unfinished games so developers can charge for DLC later on, games purely focused on the online aspect, and games with micro-transactions & loot boxes to rip off the gamers who make the industry what it is.

Not a huge online gamer anyway, when looking for easy PS trophies online is always a factor, but loot crates etc just completely turn me off a game. So much good stuff out there that any game wanting me to spend more and more just to have what I would say is the base experience, just not worth it. For a long time I felt the same about DLC and then GotY editions coming out a year later, effectively punishing the real fans who put their money into the game up front, so hoping that things like Horizon Frozen Wilds will actually be big enough to warrant it but usually it is just more of the same.

Indie games are a prime example, spend a tenner on two or three indie games in a sale and you get a very different, but very worthwhile, experience to the AAA blockbuster which ultimately takes up just as much of your time but gives you three different concepts and styles.

Absolutely sums up where gaming is at. With the hardware capabilities nowadays you'd expect better but games are becoming as throwaway as music singles and films.
I think the current generation has been piss poor. In the last gen I played a hell of a lot of games across all platforms; on the PS4, I've probably only played about 15 or so (last three months has been Elite Dangerous, nothing else), and two games on my XBO before it started to gather dust. I think it's due to a number of reasons:

- Being charged to play online (the new price hike is even more ridiculous)
- Lack of creativity variety among the titles (last generation had games ranging from Banjo-Kazooi Nuts & Bolts, to Heavy Rain, to Child of Light, to Bioshock - a huge and creative range, and lot of risk taking from developers)
- Every other games seems to be a remaster/re-release (I LOVE Shadow of the Colossus but I'm not sure I want to play it on a third console)
- The price of games upfront (£50 for most games is steep - though Elite Dangerous cost me £30 and I haven't put it down since)
- These loot boxes, 'pay to progress' elements and are just about the worst thing about gaming now. And don't get me started on DLC that is already on the disc but requires payment to unlock (looking at you, Capcom).

There have been some real gems in the past three years, but not a patch on the last generation.

No one else gotten into Fortnite on PS4. Only real Battle Royale game on it whilst waiting for PUBG.

I think the current generation has been piss poor. In the last gen I played a hell of a lot of games across all platforms; on the PS4, I've probably only played about 15 or so (last three months has been Elite Dangerous, nothing else), and two games on my XBO before it started to gather dust. I think it's due to a number of reasons:

- Being charged to play online (the new price hike is even more ridiculous)
- Lack of creativity variety among the titles (last generation had games ranging from Banjo-Kazooi Nuts & Bolts, to Heavy Rain, to Child of Light, to Bioshock - a huge and creative range, and lot of risk taking from developers)
- Every other games seems to be a remaster/re-release (I LOVE Shadow of the Colossus but I'm not sure I want to play it on a third console)
- The price of games upfront (£50 for most games is steep - though Elite Dangerous cost me £30 and I haven't put it down since)
- These loot boxes, 'pay to progress' elements and are just about the worst thing about gaming now. And don't get me started on DLC that is already on the disc but requires payment to unlock (looking at you, Capcom).

There have been some real gems in the past three years, but not a patch on the last generation.
I've recently sold my PS4 for the reasons you've stated. We are getting rinsed but at least the graphics are really life like 60fps blah blah blah.

Totally agree with what's been said here.

I have completely moved away from AAA titles as they no longer interest me.

A few weeks ago I found a game called 'Darkest Dungeon' in the PS store on sale for £6. It's absolutely incredible. A turn based dungeon crawler that seems huge. I'm about 20 hours in and feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Would recommend to everyone.

Gaming must be shit these days because from once being addicted and regularly playing through the night with headphones and no sleep, I now haven't played a single game for over a year! Over 12 months since I turned either my 360 or PS3 on (not bothered with a new gen console, and doesn't sound like I'm missing much!). I never thought this would happen to me!

Well i have to admit, im incredibly disapointed with last of us. Nice story but pretty shit gameplay if im honest. Sneak, kill, sneak run repeat. No real exploring to be done at all so far and all. Its not the fact its not open world, its more that you are literally forced down an passage the whole way so far, no choices to make at all.

I bought it on the strength of the review on here. Please tell me it gets better than running sneaking and random sight lines of zombies. I'm with Bill and just found the battery/car. i can only play it in 20 min bursts and i get so bored. Seems unbelievably linear so far

I bought it on the strength of the review on here. Please tell me it gets better than running sneaking and random sight lines of zombies. I'm with Bill and just found the battery/car. i can only play it in 20 min bursts and i get so bored. Seems unbelievably linear so far
Yes im exactly the same, play for a short period and doesnt take long till i get bored and switch it off. Think its back to Elite for me.

Yes im exactly the same, play for a short period and doesnt take long till i get bored and switch it off. Think its back to Elite for me.

If you haven't tried The Evil Within in try that. Think i may stop playing before i invest to much time in The last of us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.