General Videogame Thread

Microsoft really needs this and Crackdown 3 to be good. There is an aching lack of decent exclusives on the Xbox One - in fact, just a lack of exclusives in general! Mine's just been gathering dust since I bought it - I've played Halo 5 and Gears of War 4 and that's about it. PS4 is way ahead I think, which itself is a damning indictment of Xbox One given how poor this generation has been so far.

It's a PC game as well mate. That's what I've been playing it on.

Just bought a Nintendo Switch.... whats the process of cleansing my soul?
I don’t get the hate for Nintendo on here (not even included in the thread title).
There would be no video games/industry without them.
I haven’t bought a switch yet although I’ve borrowed a mates and found it to be pretty good so far, sure it’s not a Uber life like PS4 Xbox but tbh I have found them to be pretty poor - graphics aside.

Just bought a Nintendo Switch.... whats the process of cleansing my soul?
You just have, by buying a Switch.

I've been playing consoles for over 20 years and I've never felt so attached to a console. It's a fucking great little device full of charm and two of the best gsmes I've ever played. Literally take it everywhere with me. Enjoy it.

You just have, by buying a Switch.

I've been playing consoles for over 20 years and I've never felt so attached to a console. It's a fucking great little device full of charm and two of the best gsmes I've ever played. Literally take it everywhere with me. Enjoy it.
I’ve been at it for at least 35+ years, and I would second what you’ve said. I will treat myself to one after I move house when I can invest some proper time into it. If I bought one now I wouldn’t get the renovations done and get moved. ;)

I don’t get the hate for Nintendo on here (not even included in the thread title).
There would be no video games/industry without them.
I haven’t bought a switch yet although I’ve borrowed a mates and found it to be pretty good so far, sure it’s not a Uber life like PS4 Xbox but tbh I have found them to be pretty poor - graphics aside.

I think the hate is to do with Nintendo being the first to bring in games with micro transactions, and they've had a lot of issues as well in the past.... N64 was good but Nintendo stayed with cartridges which cost a fortune to buy (about £60 back then when PS1 games were £30-35), also the controls were awful.

I bought a Wii and it spent most the time collecting dust, it's too soon to tell with the switch, but the handheld aspect is pretty much what sold it to me.

I think the hate is to do with Nintendo being the first to bring in games with micro transactions, and they've had a lot of issues as well in the past.... N64 was good but Nintendo stayed with cartridges which cost a fortune to buy (about £60 back then when PS1 games were £30-35), also the controls were awful.

I bought a Wii and it spent most the time collecting dust, it's too soon to tell with the switch, but the handheld aspect is pretty much what sold it to me.
The PS1 was developed in partnership with Sony and Nintendo as a SNES/Superfamicom CD for that very reason. Much like the Mega CD by Sega. The PS1 with it’s dance music soundtracks aimed for the more mature gamer in the 90’s when gaming broke out and started to reach the masses. Sony also saw it as a way of shoehorning recording artists music into games who were signed to Sony Records and a clever way of gaining exposure for those artists. Plus it could play music CD’s which was a huge draw at the time because you didn’t need a separate hifi. Just like the PS2 playing DVD’s and PS3 playing Blu-ray, again Sony being clever as they have always produced equipment to play music and film on. The truth remains without Nintendo - who helped birth PS, the gaming industry would never have got to where we are today. Look at the firsts Nintendo can claim in hardware developments and genres/franchises. And although the N64 may have not done it for you, it did have a few games that are still mentioned in the greatest games of all time, even today. Also the gamecube was a fantastic console as was the Wii, the NES, the SNES, and for handheld we can mention the game boy, DS & 3DS and the Switch which marries them both, I have to mention the much maligned WiiU which admittedly was a disaster until I hacked one and had every single game from the 1980’s up to the Switch. PS & Xbox games are the same every release with a few tweaks (Fifa, GTA, COD), I’ve recently sold my PS4 because it was the same open world games which didn’t offer what Nintendo has always offered - fun. I will consider something from Sony in the future (you can have both) but it has to be better than the PS3/4 generations which simply didn’t do it for me. I will buy a switch soon because Nintendo have been very clever with that.

The PS1 was developed in partnership with Sony and Nintendo as a SNES/Superfamicom CD for that very reason. Much like the Mega CD by Sega. The PS1 with it’s dance music soundtracks aimed for the more mature gamer in the 90’s when gaming broke out and started to reach the masses. Sony also saw it as a way of shoehorning recording artists music into games who were signed to Sony Records and a clever way of gaining exposure for those artists. Plus it could play music CD’s which was a huge draw at the time because you didn’t need a separate hifi. Just like the PS2 playing DVD’s and PS3 playing Blu-ray, again Sony being clever as they have always produced equipment to play music and film on. The truth remains without Nintendo - who helped birth PS, the gaming industry would never have got to where we are today. Look at the firsts Nintendo can claim in hardware developments and genres/franchises. And although the N64 may have not done it for you, it did have a few games that are still mentioned in the greatest games of all time, even today. Also the gamecube was a fantastic console as was the Wii, the NES, the SNES, and for handheld we can mention the game boy, DS & 3DS and the Switch which marries them both, I have to mention the much maligned WiiU which admittedly was a disaster until I hacked one and had every single game from the 1980’s up to the Switch. PS & Xbox games are the same every release with a few tweaks (Fifa, GTA, COD), I’ve recently sold my PS4 because it was the same open world games which didn’t offer what Nintendo has always offered - fun. I will consider something from Sony in the future (you can have both) but it has to be better than the PS3/4 generations which simply didn’t do it for me. I will buy a switch soon because Nintendo have been very clever with that.

The N64 did it for most people yet when talking about the games that made it worth it can be counted on 1 hand and even now those games haven't aged brilliantly.

I have no issue with Nintendo otherwise I wouldn't have bought a switch, but I always feel their consoles are 5 years behind everyone else.... the gamecube was good but didn't offer a lot that other consoles did to warrant a purchase, the Wii was different but after purchasing it found that most games weren't worth playing on it, and like I said just sat there collecting dust!

Nintendo has gone in the direction with the switch I said they should have gone after the WiiU.... they excelled at handheld devices, no other could touch them, SEGA tried it with the Gamegear, but it wasn't anywhere near the Gameboy/Advanced, sony tried it with the PSP and PSVita, and although good isn't anywhere near as good as the DS or 3DS.
Nintendo have a loyal following but with the switch it'll make other people take notice!

The N64 did it for most people yet when talking about the games that made it worth it can be counted on 1 hand and even now those games haven't aged brilliantly.

I have no issue with Nintendo otherwise I wouldn't have bought a switch, but I always feel their consoles are 5 years behind everyone else.... the gamecube was good but didn't offer a lot that other consoles did to warrant a purchase, the Wii was different but after purchasing it found that most games weren't worth playing on it, and like I said just sat there collecting dust!

Nintendo has gone in the direction with the switch I said they should have gone after the WiiU.... they excelled at handheld devices, no other could touch them, SEGA tried it with the Gamegear, but it wasn't anywhere near the Gameboy/Advanced, sony tried it with the PSP and PSVita, and although good isn't anywhere near as good as the DS or 3DS.
Nintendo have a loyal following but with the switch it'll make other people take notice!
I’ve read a fair few posts by you on here where you have slagged Nintendo off. You’re just backtracking because you’ve bought a Switch (you called it a plug in tablet on here a while ago). ;)
I can see you slagging the Switch off somewhere down the line as well, probably for not having enough decent titles and battery life.
Enjoy it for being different to your preferred console of choice and it’s portability. I think it’ll be hackable soon as well which will unlock its potential to play retro titles.

I’ve read a fair few posts by you on here where you have slagged Nintendo off. You’re just backtracking because you’ve bought a Switch (you called it a plug in tablet on here a while ago). ;)
I can see you slagging the Switch off somewhere down the line as well, probably for not having enough decent titles and battery life.
Enjoy it for being different to your preferred console of choice and it’s portability. I think it’ll be hackable soon as well which will unlock its potential to play retro titles.

I've slagged Nintendo off with good reason though, the switch is a plug in tablet essentially. There will be a few big titled games I won't get as I have a PS4/PC that can run the games better or with much better detail!

DOOM has just been released on the switch and looking at the gameplay a lot of detail has been removed from PS4/Xbox/PC which is expected as the file sizes are surprisingly low (DOOM is something like 14GB).

The games I'll solely be playing on it is indie games, stuff like Shovel Knight and Stardew Valley.... even though I own these games on other platforms, the option to play via handheld is what intrigues me.

But as I said previously, Nintendo have been far behind in the console department since mid 90s, they Peaked with the SNES but never dominated after that. I think the switch will see them aiming more towards handheld, as mobile phones have tried to jump on that department but haven't really been innovative.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.