General Videogame Thread

That’s what I’m thinking mate. Is the graphics on the PS4 Pro a noticeable drop from the X?

I have a PS4 pro + 4k true HDR tv

The main difference is that the X has quite a few games that perform at native 4k (2160p) and it manages to keep this up through most parts of games.

With the pro I don't think there is any game that is native 4k. Some aspects might be but mainly it uses a checkerboard effect to upscale the image from whatever resolution it is up to 4k. So there is definitely a drop in quality.

How important that is to you is subjective. I played horizon and tomb raider in resolution mode (better graphics) but am playing God of war in performance mode as I prefer 60fps especially in the more hectic fighting moments.

I honestly can say I haven't been disappointed with the pro at all.

I don't think you'll tell the difference. There's a slight power difference between the 2 but the PS4 Pro is superb. If you've got a decent 4K TV (preferably with HDR) you'll struggle to spot any downgrade in graphics, SFX or power.

There's a fair difference in processing power which is bound to be more evident over the coming months when developers get to grips with the machines.

The OneX has an advantage of having 2 trillion floating operations per second more than the PS4 Pro. 6TFLOPS OneX and 4.1TFLOPS PS4.

The OneX bandwidth of 326 GB/s over the PS4 218 GB/s is also significant and gives a further graphical advantage that will probably become apparent in the coming months.

The OneX has a 12GB GDDR5 compared to the PS4 Pro 8GB GDDR5.

The above will make it far easier for the OneX to display games in native 4K at 60fps which is the aim. The PS4 is struggling to do that and displays many games at 30fps.

Additionally, for the movie buff and audiophile the OneX offers UHD 4K Blueray and Dolby Atmos whilst the PS4 Pro offers only standard def Blueray.

If you can afford the extra £100 then get the One X. Its a no brainer.

Starting to seriously regret buying the Xbox one X considering the exclusive games on the console. Really wish I bought a PS4 Pro as God Of War, Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last Of Us look fantastic. Can't justify spending another 350 on a console though.
I don't have any of the consoles this gen(play the occasional game on PC but basically retired from keeping up with current gen gaming due to the expense) but I normally find most exclusives are overrated alot for the fact they can't be played on the competitors hardware(I've found that across Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo exclusives bar a few exceptions). Last gen especially I found the very best games weren't actually the exclusive ones personally(seems to be the way things are going more and more), as the generation draws on and the big AAA multiplatform games roll out you'll notice the performance gap a lot more though which is something to bare in mind. There's RDR2 coming out later this year which illustrates what I'm trying to say perfectly, further down the line cyberpunk 2077 from the creators of The Witcher series seems to be getting a lot of attention to name a few.

Never the less it's nice to have the exclusives to justify your choice on some level: Forza7, Cuphead and Sea of Thieves all seem my cup of tea along with the many multiplats like Witcher 3 and so on, would be plenty enough for me for a new console. If you don't game on the PC, Console exclusives are as good as exclusive. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what State Of Decay 2 turns out like with a bigger budget. Played the original a couple of months back on the PC, it seems to be one that went under a lot of peoples radar(not seen any interest on this thread?) but it was a very satisfying experience in my book and it takes a lot to get me hooked in these days. The combat, the permadeath to make you really not want to lose group members you've spent time levelling up and training, different outcomes/events based on your choices, building a solid home base etc there's so much for them to build on to make it something truly exceptional with a bigger team and a bigger budget.

Also since you are bound to lose money switching between the two, it might be worth at least holding out for E3 at the start of next month as Microsoft have been rumoured to have a big showing planned this year, they've most likely invested in exclusives to even things up a little.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.