Vilnius, Riga, Tallinn

pablozabaleta

Going to see these three places next week, I've planned 3 nights in each place and taking coaches to get from place to place.

Anyone been before, any must see places, any hidden gems?

Cheers blues

Not been there but I'd imagine Vilnius in particular has loads of history related stuff. All the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth that was absolutely huge, one of the biggest powers in the East of Europe. Then the partitioning of said commonwealth by Prussia, Russia and Austria. Presume they'll also be loads of WW2 related stuff with the holocaust; I think it was in Russia at the time so I can imagine the Nazi's weren't exactly hospitable.

The character of General Marko Raimus in The Hunt for Red October was from Vilnius.

That's pretty much the only thing that I know about the place.

Only been to Riga - fantastic small city with cheap and very good beer. Smarter than you might expect. Unmissable - the main market (centraltirgus) just south of station. One of biggest in Europe. The little bar there is rough but magical.

Vilnius - KGB Museum, although a bit of a walk from the centre of town. Also the tower, up on the hill. Loads of churches and good architecture.

Riga - go to the top of the cathedral tower for fantastic views. Have to visit the market halls in the old Zeppelin hangars.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.