Virgin Broadband

shevtheblue

I've been with these guys for years, the service has always just been OK tbh and i used to have regular drops within the house. Obviously during lockdown there were quite a few but that was just because everyone was home and using the web. But i just got sick and tired of it when i was on the Hub 3, having to reset the router and sometimes having to call up their useless tech support, who've really no fucking idea about tech, and having them reset it from their side. I had the 300mb connection and it would just all over the place, going as low as 2mb sometimes even though i was paying a small fortune for it. Eventually i had a read up on it and it seems like these wifi routers they provide are actually shite, they're probably ok if you live in an apartment with 2 devices connected, but i have about 25 devices connected to wifi and it would drop out all the time. I got myself a new Asus router off the web, found instructions on how to setup the Hub3 into modem only mode and connected it to the Asus router. Just changed the SSID and passwords in the admin panel of the Asus router to whatever it was for Virgin, so i didn't have to reconnect any of the devices, and its so much more stable. The only time i really get any issues is obviously when Virgin is down, but i've not had to restart either of the routers for about a year.

I recently upgraded to a 1gb connection and with that you have to get Virgin's new Hub4, its a different design and they big it up as being something special, it's the same shit and they charge you £30something for the privilege. The rest of the world are using IPV6 and Virgin (and everyone else i guess) are still using IPV4 so these new hubs are as shit as the last ones. I tried using it for a couple days and the same issues as the previous iteration, constant drops in speeds ranging from 900mb down to 20mb, how they can keep pumping these shit routers out and not have been done by a watchdog i've no idea. I was actually provided with a new American router from a friend, a Calix Gigaspire GS4220E and i've connected that up and its great. On top of that i have this mesh system by a company called Plume (who i think actually work with Virgin to provide their pods), i would recommend them although i'm not sure how they would work with the Hub 4 direct. No more deadspots anywhere around the house.

Cliff notes, which i probably should have just put at the top to save you all time: put your "super"hub into modem mode and buy yourself a new router.

No problems with the BT router. Getting a steady 350-400mb via wifi on a 500mb FTTP service with 60mb upload.

Virgin were crap when I had them, they never delivered anywhere near the promised speeds. And that was with my own router too.

I was with Virgin for TV and fibre broadband a few years ago. The internet frequently cut out and they throttled BBC iPlayer and YouTube during peak hours, and randomly started billing us for the full Sky Sports package even though we didn't order it. Took months before they eventually acknowledged it was a mistake on their end. I fucked them off swiftly after that.

I've been with Plusnet for a few years now and touch wood they've been mostly hassle free.

The sad reality is all the broadband providers are shite at different times to different people. Same with energy and insurance companies, everyone's got a horror story for all of them and IMO they're probably much of a muchness.

Watched this video and learnt something new that the the virgin media router you set it up to have 2 connection one 2.4ghz and one 5ghz so someone can be gaming on the 5ghz and one can be on there first stick or iPad on the 2.4ghz one. Took me 5 mins to do and so easy to do.

I've got Virgin Broadband and agree their hubs are crap. I invested in ORBI mesh set up about 3 years ago and linked to the Virgin router. I've full speed and no access issues across the house, consistent to about 30 devices.

It's initially a big outlay, but stopped any members of the family complaining "Dad, the internets not working"

I've been with these guys for years, the service has always just been OK tbh and i used to have regular drops within the house. Obviously during lockdown there were quite a few but that was just because everyone was home and using the web. But i just got sick and tired of it when i was on the Hub 3, having to reset the router and sometimes having to call up their useless tech support, who've really no fucking idea about tech, and having them reset it from their side. I had the 300mb connection and it would just all over the place, going as low as 2mb sometimes even though i was paying a small fortune for it. Eventually i had a read up on it and it seems like these wifi routers they provide are actually shite, they're probably ok if you live in an apartment with 2 devices connected, but i have about 25 devices connected to wifi and it would drop out all the time. I got myself a new Asus router off the web, found instructions on how to setup the Hub3 into modem only mode and connected it to the Asus router. Just changed the SSID and passwords in the admin panel of the Asus router to whatever it was for Virgin, so i didn't have to reconnect any of the devices, and its so much more stable. The only time i really get any issues is obviously when Virgin is down, but i've not had to restart either of the routers for about a year.

I recently upgraded to a 1gb connection and with that you have to get Virgin's new Hub4, its a different design and they big it up as being something special, it's the same shit and they charge you £30something for the privilege. The rest of the world are using IPV6 and Virgin (and everyone else i guess) are still using IPV4 so these new hubs are as shit as the last ones. I tried using it for a couple days and the same issues as the previous iteration, constant drops in speeds ranging from 900mb down to 20mb, how they can keep pumping these shit routers out and not have been done by a watchdog i've no idea. I was actually provided with a new American router from a friend, a Calix Gigaspire GS4220E and i've connected that up and its great. On top of that i have this mesh system by a company called Plume (who i think actually work with Virgin to provide their pods), i would recommend them although i'm not sure how they would work with the Hub 4 direct. No more deadspots anywhere around the house.

Cliff notes, which i probably should have just put at the top to save you all time: put your "super"hub into modem mode and buy yourself a new router.

Wifi is shit in general I've got the new amazon eero with Talk Talk as I am in a none cable area now for Virgin. And it is just as shit for range. Smart TVs take up a shit load of bandwith if you have them connected. IPV6 will be coming next year with the new hub.

I've got Virgin Broadband and agree their hubs are crap. I invested in ORBI mesh set up about 3 years ago and linked to the Virgin router. I've full speed and no access issues across the house, consistent to about 30 devices.

It's initially a big outlay, but stopped any members of the family complaining "Dad, the internets not working"

This is great advice, if you need your internet connection for work of it's really important to you then you need to dump the router these companies give to you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.