Virtual Trading/Trading Games

Hi mate,

I wasn't suggesting that more that price action has two components (IMO) the first is the fundemental aspect (a straight line between two points in time will show you that) and the second is the "human" aspect of trading, the noise around that fundemental action. Now the fundemental line isn't a predictor, you simply wouldn't know if you are capturinga point of price noise. So if you wanted to look a a basic charting technique have a google for "trend line" that is used to suggest areas of support and resistence in the price, the idea being you can either use it as a predictor for where the market will "hold" (not go below, therefore you buy or not go above, therefore you sell). I personally don't find them that good for that but more as areas of breakout, so price goes through my support line I would then think about selling, you can build on these trend lines when the support and resistance lines converge you get into an area called the apex, when the price breaches either line it is expected to move as much as the difference between the widest gap between the two lines. Again this is all very textbook, when I use support and resistance lines I like them to touch as many price points on the chart as possible where others like to pick only two (possibly 3) extremities but much of that is my view that they aren't especially good predictors for me. Now moving averages is something I do like and use.

Your second free lesson of the day is: There was a very simple trading model designed in the 70s where the question was asked are traders born or can they be made (think trading places) it was based on a breakout signal and was quite successful but not because of the entry/exit signal but because of the money management. So lesson 2; manage your risk. The rules are freely available on the Internet, look for "turtles trading" do not pay for the rules (a few con merchants out there).

metalblue said:
Hi mate,

I wasn't suggesting that more that price action has two components (IMO) the first is the fundemental aspect (a straight line between two points in time will show you that) and the second is the "human" aspect of trading, the noise around that fundemental action. Now the fundemental line isn't a predictor, you simply wouldn't know if you are capturinga point of price noise. So if you wanted to look a a basic charting technique have a google for "trend line" that is used to suggest areas of support and resistence in the price, the idea being you can either use it as a predictor for where the market will "hold" (not go below, therefore you buy or not go above, therefore you sell). I personally don't find them that good for that but more as areas of breakout, so price goes through my support line I would then think about selling, you can build on these trend lines when the support and resistance lines converge you get into an area called the apex, when the price breaches either line it is expected to move as much as the difference between the widest gap between the two lines. Again this is all very textbook, when I use support and resistance lines I like them to touch as many price points on the chart as possible where others like to pick only two (possibly 3) extremities but much of that is my view that they aren't especially good predictors for me. Now moving averages is something I do like and use.

Your second free lesson of the day is: There was a very simple trading model designed in the 70s where the question was asked are traders born or can they be made (think trading places) it was based on a breakout signal and was quite successful but not because of the entry/exit signal but because of the money management. So lesson 2; manage your risk. The rules are freely available on the Internet, look for "turtles trading" do not pay for the rules (a few con merchants out there).

gotcha, that makes sense.

had a look at support and resistance lines, it seems like a good starting point for a beginner, but I'll have to do it visually which will be a bit of a problem.

Just googling turtles trading now.

Cheers for your input. I'll make sure and reimburse you in beer next time we get a chance.

metalblue said:
prorealtime is a good desktop product, free if you are happy with just getting end of day prices which is enough to let you play around with some chart tools and get a feel for things.

Is this just for plotting the lines?

roaminblue said:
metalblue said:
prorealtime is a good desktop product, free if you are happy with just getting end of day prices which is enough to let you play around with some chart tools and get a feel for things.

Is this just for plotting the lines?

it's a full on charting system matey but the only price data you get is end of day so no intraday live price feeds (you would pay for the live feed data or delayed data) . Better than using google charts or other products when you want to do some technical analysis.

Just a few quick questions for all you seasoned markets people. Hopefully someone can shed some light:

Been doing some research into fundamentals.

P/e, EPS, ebitda I know from my classes, as well as some understanding of capm.

But I haven't really encountered free cash flow, can someone break it down a little for me please?

Firstly, why is it a better indicator than ebitda or p/e

Secondly, I've seen a lot of different equations for free cash flow, simplest one being cash from operating less capital expenditures. Then free cash flow to firm, and free cash flow to equity are slightly more complex but presumably info should all be on cash flow statements?

Next, I'm a bit confused about all of this rising bond yields.

I know yields and price have an inverse relationship and that current bonds are fixed, and can also be traded on the secondary market. I also get that the government needs to incentivise buyers for new bonds.

Firstly, do the govt incentivise buyers by reducing price or paying a higher coupon, or a mixture of both? If the price is low, they can incentivise by increasing the capital gain right? Are higher yields just the result of lower prices?

Secondly, with bonds that are issued and traded. If a person has bought a bond for £x they want yields to go up don't they? If yields are up and prices down, what is the incentive to sell at all? Or do they trade at their own prices? Not related to the govt prices/yields?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.