VPN/Proxy servers

A VPN is a Virtual Private Network. This is a network that you route your entire internet through - it replaces your ISP whose network you currently connect to. The benefits of this are that it's a one shot setup for all devices if you do it at router level.

A proxy is a server that sits between you and the destination you want to visit on the web. This means that the destinations (so websites) that you want to visit think the traffic is coming from the proxy server rather than your computer. Well, sort. It depends how they configure the proxy. The benefits to this are that you can set it on a per application basis meaning that your web browser could work through a proxy but your Spotify or Steam or whatever would run through your normal connection.

If you want privacy you want a VPN. If you want to watch Netflix in your browser from other countries you want a fast proxy service. If you want to get around all geo-blocking you want a VPN. Most people want a VPN.

VPN's are inexpensive but it's also a bit Wild Westish out there due to the complicated Data Protection or Retention legislation in each country, and some server admins just can't be arsed to do it right. I recommend NordVPN who have a no log policy meaning that traffic cannot be traced back to its point of origin by anybody for any reason. They're also based in a country that has lax laws on traffic logging. They don't even know what your traffic does. This is perfect for torrenting and other IP blocks as well as paranoid freaks like myself who don't like intelligence agencies spying on them. They also have a very easy to use download program which should configure most things for you itself. I've done my homework on this issue and believe these to be the best out there for normal users - they're not the most popular but they're the ones that people like me use.

You will lose internet speed on both of these implementations. Generally the VPN is better because you can choose which "server" to connect to and obviously the close the country the quicker the network.
Cheers Damo will use an excerpt of your explanation in the FAQ if you don't mind

So I have to buy all that gear as well...??!

No if you using a pc or tablet or phone you can download the nord app. Certain android boxes a vpn aint possible unless you get that, personally I wanted the whole house vpn wified.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.