Vuelta a España 2017

Jacob Smith

Kicks off tomorrow with a short TTT in Nimes, France.

Will be interesting to see how Froomey gets on after publicly stating he's going for the Tour/Vuelta double this year. Other big contenders are Contador in the last race of his career, Aru, Bardet & potentially Nibali.

Both Yates twins are riding for Orica-Scott so it'll be good to see how they fare in their first Grand Tour together.

Is there much interest in this on Bluemoon?

Thanks for starting the thread.

The Vuelta, certainly in recent years, does not disappoint. Although it will be odd without Valverde lining up for the race.

It will be interesting to see how Orica get on with three podium standard riders and if Froome can finally win the race after being so close on a number of occasions. He appears to have a fascination with the race. The 40(ish)KM time trial will provide him with some buffer, particularly against the Yates brothers, Chaves, Aru and Bardet, and possibly a minute or so over Nibali.

Astana look weak but Miguel Angel Lopez has tonnes of potential. As does Alaphilippe. I'd be surprised if either podium but fancy them to win at least a stage apiece. On the subject of these two, the young rider classification will be fascinating with the Yates brothers, Mentjies (sp?), Jungels and the two mentioned above.

Although he will be used as a workhorse for the SKY train, it will be interesting to see how Moscon gets on. He's such a talented rider. A machine. He could potentially be a star in the cobbled classics, Ardennes and week long stage races.

For Saturday TTT, I am going for BMC, Quick Step and SKY to to gain a lead over the others.

Last edited:
Yep, timely thread.
For casual fans 10pm every night for itv4 half an hour of highlights - Eurosport for fuller live coverage each afternoon, although I dont think they are going as far as the TdF did this year and making live broadcast footage available from kilometre zero on every stage.
I'd recommend the Cycling Podcast each night too during grand tours - excellent analysis and a bit of local colour thrown in - with Richard Moore, Lionel Birnie and Daniel Friebe.
Can't see Contador being much more than a spectator on this one, although locals will no doubt want to give him a celebratory send off and raise a forkful of steak to toast him.
Would agree with MiL that I'd too expect to see BMC up there on the TTT. I do think there is a place for a TTT on grand tours and was disappointed we didnt get one on the tour this summer.
On another note I see Samuel Sanchez has, er, "retired" at the age of 39. Thought he was going to go on into his 40s and replicate the amazing, unbelievable Chris Horner.
Anyway, bring on the Vuelta - can't wait :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.