Want to start a business

KingRuben

I want to start my own business, ambitious yes stupid maybe... I've always had an idea of a cleaning business offering personal services such as carpet cleaning window cleaning etc but all from the same company rather than a random man turning up at your door etc anybody got any ideas for a business or any tips?

no but can i have a job :)?

i'm currently working but i want a change.

Not stupid at all mate, every business in the world started somewhere.

Get a website going first, this can be sitting around waiting for new customers whilst you get started. There's no point quitting a job on a Friday and sat waiting for a phone call on the Monday.

Knock up some leaflets to start off with, or considering a small ad in a local maagazine or newspaper.

You could start off by doing it at weekends, and if it takes off then considering doing it full time.

Image counts for a lot. Get some decent clothing, good workwear that's clean and tidy, with proper work boots. Nothing's worse than someone turning up to do some work at your house wearing tracksuit bottoms, trainers and a battered football shirt. I wear a green polo shirt, black combat-type/work pants and steelie boots. Counts for a lot when I turn up and I look the part.

Buy a seperate mobile for your business. Just a pay as you go. Nothing worse than being sat in the pub and your own phone goes and it's a customer ringing up for something. At the weekend the work mobile gets put in away and I don't check the messages until the Monday.

I do all my own accounting, and have my own web-based invoicing software. I'm considering licensing this out for people having to invoice more than say 20 invoices a week. I might need a guinea pig to see how it works, so give us a shout if you're thinking of going ahead.

Just be professional. I get so much work from neighbours of my customers or people passing by. I'm there in my work clothes, my van's clean and I do a good job. It's so simple, but it counts for a lot. Christmas cards to customers etc.

On the legal side, you don't really need to do much. All you need to do is let HMRC know that you're going self-employed, and you want (ha ha) to do a tax return at the end of the tax year, and they'll put you on the system. Doing a tax return is a piece of piss, I buy a £15 spreadsheet from diyaccounting.co.uk each year and I can do it in a few days.

cheers scall just pm'd you! anyone else got any feedback/tips? how to obtain finance to start up etc?

I worked for a franchised cleaning company for a year or so, finding the contracts on behalf of the franchisees
You would not believe how hard a job it is to manage a cleaning company

Get yourself a Twitter account and follow 10,000 people in the Manchester area. Low and behold, 10,000 people who've now seen the company logo, name and contact details. Free PR at its easiest. You can start with me, @MikeLangfordMcr ;-)

Have everything ready to go before you quit your job - website, tools, action plan and hopefully some customers. Best way to start would be to make inroads with mates who work in office blocks, etc and get them to forward your details to the landlord.

Best of luck blue!

DonnyCityLove said:
ban-mcfc said:
no but can i have a job :)?

i'm currently working but i want a change.

you seem very much like me, your in

i'm currently in a job sat in an office on the phone all day, talking to wankers who don't really want to talk to me. it's the most mentally tiring thing i've ever done, it's so so so boring.

every other job i've had has been up and about like labouring or construction work. even when i worked in retail i was still walking about all day checking things.

i'm young, fit and healthy and like to think of myself as being clever (don't we all). only got the basic 5 GCSEs though as i went straight into full time work from school basically. i've worked a cross a range of sectors and i'm extremely hard working.

if this takes off mate, seriously give me a PM. because i'm currently considering wtf i'm going to do with my life at the minute.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.