Was anything better in days gone by?

Compared to 40 years ago, look at any High Street today - where the shops resemble Fort Knox, or have been abandoned, and homeless people proliferate and openly beg without any sense of shame - and you’ll have your answer. Society is (imo) definitely ruder, harsher and less forgiving than a generation ago - and I simply refuse to accept most of the figures that suggest violence and crime is down - my eyes tell me otherwise.

Many, possibly most things are better, certainly in terms of choice and individual lifestyle, but we’ve definitely lost something along the way - and who knows where it will end up. Not very well, I expect.
Very true. Probably up to the early 80's even small towns had a palpable buzz around the high St on a weekday, more so if it was a market day or Saturday. Out of town supermarkets started the rot and the Internet has stuck the boot in. Now most towns high Sts are deserted dumps half boarded up or just charity shops and takeaways. I think most are too far gone, and I'm as bad as anyone for buying online so not preaching. Maybe time to convert it all to affordable housing and community facilities?

I saw one this wek that cost £100,000,in every day there was a box containing a diamond,rings,ear rings,necklaces etc,that would be totally lost on me as i'm not interested in material things,i would much rather have chocolates

100% Kaz. On the subject of chocolate, Mars bars were better back in the day and were twice the size of today's pathetic offering. And don't get me started on Cornettos...

Going to your local pub which felt like your home, getting a nod as you walk in because everyone recognised you. When you walked up to the bar and the bar maid knew what you wanted.

One such pub I had been frequenting I hadn’t been for a few months and when I turned up a few thought I had been inside prison, when I told them I hadn’t, they weren’t convinced.

Going to your local pub which felt like your home, getting a nod as you walk in because everyone recognised you. When you walked up to the bar and the bar maid knew what you wanted.

One such pub I had been frequenting I hadn’t been for a few months and when I turned up a few thought I had been inside prison, when I told them I hadn’t, they weren’t convinced.
I still get that

Very true. Probably up to the early 80's even small towns had a palpable buzz around the high St on a weekday, more so if it was a market day or Saturday. Out of town supermarkets started the rot and the Internet has stuck the boot in. Now most towns high Sts are deserted dumps half boarded up or just charity shops and takeaways. I think most are too far gone, and I'm as bad as anyone for buying online so not preaching. Maybe time to convert it all to affordable housing and community facilities?
All is too strong, but the deck definitely needs considerably shuffling

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.