Was anything better in days gone by?

Waggon wheels were bigger!
Kids played outside for hours and had great times with their friends. More simple times and simple pleasures. Music was better. Sense of belonging, community was much stronger.

Compared to 40 years ago, look at any High Street today - where the shops resemble Fort Knox, or have been abandoned, and homeless people proliferate and openly beg without any sense of shame - and you’ll have your answer. Society is (imo) definitely ruder, harsher and less forgiving than a generation ago - and I simply refuse to accept most of the figures that suggest violence and crime is down - my eyes tell me otherwise.

Many, possibly most things are better, certainly in terms of choice and individual lifestyle, but we’ve definitely lost something along the way - and who knows where it will end up. Not very well, I expect.

Pride and dignity is redundant in too many people.

I don’t mean pride as in national pride, I mean personal. Holding yourself in enough esteem to act like a gentleman and be polite and courteous. It seems to have been drained out of people.

I don’t mean pride as in national pride, I mean personal. Holding yourself in enough esteem to act like a gentleman and be polite and courteous. It seems to have been drained out of people.
I agree. Not universal, but far too widespread. So many people seem angry these days too.

Maybe I’m just becoming an old ****!

In the 80’s I saved up for my own driving lessons and bought my first 2nd hand car out my own earnings.

Fast forward to today and my Stepson asked his mum on passing his test if he can have a car as a reward. She offered her used car to him (lucky boy), he text back didn’t want it, wanted a new one. No pride in achieving it for himself. He wasn’t joking, she bought him a fucking car.

In the 80’s I saved up for my own driving lessons and bought my first 2nd hand car out my own earnings.

Fast forward to today and my Stepson asked his mum on passing his test if he can have a car as a reward. She offered her used car to him (lucky boy), he text back didn’t want it, wanted a new one. No pride in achieving it for himself. He wasn’t joking, she bought him a fucking car.

That’s the view today with many youngsters, it’s sad really.

My boss always tells me a funny story after he passed his test, his dad comes in bragging about how much of a great dad he is, building up to what my boss thought was him offering the car he was about to get rid of. Instead he revealed he was offering to sell it to my boss, as his first car, for £100 under market rate, because “he’s a top dad”.

He tells it very funny and posting it on here doesn’t do it justice.

Proper full English cooked breakfast on a train, served at your seat. (On a journey you'd bought a ticket for at the station that morning.)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.