Was anything better in days gone by?

In 1976 I went to live "darn South" for a bit:
Good things:
Beer was relatively cheap and you could get pretty stoned on 4 pints of King and Barnes Old Ale.
Off peak fare to London was £1-50 return. Even allowing for inflation, that was cheap.
You could get a doctor's appointment same day.
If you were off sick, a Giro would land on your door-mat promptly. No 200 page forms for the DWP.
Although my salary was modest, I could easily afford to rent a flat.
Never saw a beggar in the street.

Bad things:
That flat, in winter, was only marginally warmer than the inside of a fridge.
People, generally, were not well off. Everyone got by, but you never felt loaded.
Work was as boring as fuck. (But that was the job I was in.)

You wouldn't have a yoghurt cup since we didn't have yoghurt in those days

We did have yogurt back in the sixties mate. A quick tale if I may about a a russian scientist called elie mechiffikof who studied the health benefits of cultured milk and determined that the bacteria in cultured milk products reduced the amount of bad bacteria in our gutt. He wrote a book The Prolongation of Life: Studies of an Optimistic Philosophy which if you have a spare moment makes for excellent reading influencing many folk including a chap called Mr Carasso who alomng with his son founded the world renowned yogurt company Dannone . It was the Dannone company that first added fruit on the bottom of yogurt back in the forties but it was not until the health food craze of the sixties that yogurt gained real popularity. Yogurt will always be around as a tasty healthy snack with appeal to a younger set : /

Last edited:
As for there being yoghurt or not, I mean really way back =. I brought some home from France in the 1950s and nobody knew what it was.

In 1976 I went to live "darn South" for a bit:
Good things:
Beer was relatively cheap and you could get pretty stoned on 4 pints of King and Barnes Old Ale.
Off peak fare to London was £1-50 return. Even allowing for inflation, that was cheap.
You could get a doctor's appointment same day.
If you were off sick, a Giro would land on your door-mat promptly. No 200 page forms for the DWP.
Although my salary was modest, I could easily afford to rent a flat.
Never saw a beggar in the street.

Bad things:
That flat, in winter, was only marginally warmer than the inside of a fridge.
People, generally, were not well off. Everyone got by, but you never felt loaded.
Work was as boring as fuck. (But that was the job I was in.)

King & Barnes. Where did you live Brian, Horsham?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.