Watches

Patek Philippe
Grand Complications Perpetual Tourbillon Black Dial Watch, $809,939.00

patek-philippe-grand-complications-perpetual-tourbillon-black-dial-watch-5316p-001.jpg

I own a Patek Philippe
£20k retail
£50 in Turkey and it's brilliant

Although my real dress watch is this one
Cost me £150 on Ebay. It was an unwanted gift

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Raymond-Weil-Toccata-Mens-Watch/p/17341084/

Never ever got watches. I'm an engineer by trade and I've some fantastic pieces of engineering in my life but watches just seem to be about showing how much money you have to other people. I get the investment side of owning a classic timepiece but investments can be stored away, a watch is a visual point for all around you to see.

Look at a BMW against a Ford Focus and a Rolex against a Casio. A BMW will out run the Focus, it will out break a Focus, It will be better in the corners than a Focus it will do everything you want a car to do better than a Focus, although the Focus is a fine car.

A Casio will keep the same accuracy of time or better than a Rolex but doesn't have as much gold and diamonds to show off. Why would you pay thousands of pounds for an equal or lesser spec item. Don't forget, I understand the investment bit.

If you're an engineer and can produce the polished screw-bolt seen in an audemars Oak bezel...i can get ya £12k a kilo for em. Need to be exactly the same though, audemars are fuckers for knocking bespoke companies back for being not really good enough.

Take a peak at a Patek 12-600 movement and ponder the '50's and the fact the customer was never intended to see it.....casio's are like plastic tits...half bonny from a distance

Last edited:
I have a Seamaster Pro and a Speedmaster moon watch and love them both. The SMP is just a classic and it’s great when I’m at the beach. The moon watch’s history just means a lot to me. IMO going to the moon is the most badass thing humans have ever done.

The real reason I got into watches though was because of my gambling addiction. After I quit I put $5 a day away (which was pennies compared to how much I was losing). I decided to treat myself when I hit 1,000 days and bought the first one. I did it again when I hit another personal milestone. Now when I’m wearing them they remind me of how great things are since I stopped.

A Patek Philippe is really amazing but I see them really as jewellery - the pricing is incomprehensible to me though. I do have an interesting anecdote about them. My mother in law volunteers at a local Salvation Army and the local train office often brings in items from lost & found on trains there to be sold. On two occasions several years ago, there were two Patek Philippes as part of the kitty given to the Salvation Army - both sold for less than 50 CHF, no one was familiar with the brand or their value as they appear quite understated.

Everyone scoffs and gets all snobby when I say this but a high end Sieko for the same price range as an omega is better made, uses better materials and has a better movement.

Check out seiyajapan.com and look at the Grand Sieko range. Beautiful watches.

Never ever got watches. I'm an engineer by trade and I've some fantastic pieces of engineering in my life but watches just seem to be about showing how much money you have to other people. I get the investment side of owning a classic timepiece but investments can be stored away, a watch is a visual point for all around you to see.

Look at a BMW against a Ford Focus and a Rolex against a Casio. A BMW will out run the Focus, it will out break a Focus, It will be better in the corners than a Focus it will do everything you want a car to do better than a Focus, although the Focus is a fine car.

A Casio will keep the same accuracy of time or better than a Rolex but doesn't have as much gold and diamonds to show off. Why would you pay thousands of pounds for an equal or lesser spec item. Don't forget, I understand the investment bit.

As an engineer can you not see the design and work that goes into producing some of these incredible time pieces and appreciate it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.