Watches

As an engineer can you not see the design and work that goes into producing some of these incredible time pieces and appreciate it?
Think I can appreciate what he is saying, it’s form over function.
Some people interchange craftsmanship with engineering and whilst they are not completely mutually exclusive, most of the time they are.
Items that are better engineered actually perform better/last longer whereas, whilst some of the watches are beautifully crafted, they are no more, in fact probably less accurate than a cheap digital watch.
The best engineering is producing a simple solution to a complex problem.
All that said, I still like a nice watch and have a Junghans Meister Driver myself.

As an engineer can you not see the design and work that goes into producing some of these incredible time pieces and appreciate it?

Of course I can, they are all beautifully made, but apart from the investment angle, why? A £50 watch with give you exactly the same information as a £5000 watch and most of the engineering in the expensive watch is hidden away so you can't see it. I do get the investment thing, and I do appreciate the engineering, I just don't get the 'why' apart from people wanting to show the rest of the world that they can afford such expensive watches.

When we're all in a restaurant, you don't know that I've got a £100k BMW parked outside, but we can all see your £5000 watch which you make sure is on display haha. Some bloody awful expensive ugly watches to look at as well.

One other thing, if you want to see engineering at a high level, buy a tube of Smarties and carefully undo the tube. It's another thing of beauty, especially the way the 'catch' works. Kompany Car was saying the same sort of thing

Word of warning, bought this lady’s cartier tank late 90’s had it stashed with a few other watches and the batterys had bled in two of the watches £250 for each watch to be stripped and cleaned.ouch !
9987ea7fc74618476fc0beffb5a0f13b.jpg

Omega analogue. No jewels just the basic rock solid engineering inside. I don't give a stuff about inheritance money and a house, car etc but when my dad does shuffle off I'm having his watch!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.