Watching sport in Ultra HD

brummie blue

Just looking for opinions from anyone who's watching sport in Ultra HD.

Recently got Sky Q, after a recent thread prompted me to call Sky to get a better deal, which I did and Sky Q upgrade.

Sky Q offers some sports in Ultra HD, but I'd need to upgrade TV to watch.

Anyone switched to UHD and impressed, or is it hardly noticeable.

Cheers for any input.

Doesn't make a huuuuge difference, wouldn't upgrade the TV unless you were planning to anyway. Makes more of a difference with some documentaries etc.

Have to be honest here and say that I genuinely can't tell the difference in all the so called HD formats. It reminds me of a lad I once knew who swore by bang and olafsen hi fi equipment paying an arm and a leg for it claiming that listening to music his way is the way that it's supposed to be listened to, I couldn't tell the difference then either.

Been very underwhelmed with it in all honesty. Feels like they have dumbed down normal HD and just rehashed it as ultra HD.

It’s better. But not the same level of difference as between SD and HD. Certainly worth it if you already have a 4K tv.

For live sport your TV probably matters more, how it renders the images, how good it's engine is etc. Personally i think your tv will upscale 1080p just fine for live sports. 4k comes into it's own with good transfers from the masters of films. Some films are mastered in different resolution to, so 4k, 6k, 8k and all with differing results. What lens was used and a whole lot of other stuff.

Only about 50% of movies brought out in 4k have genuine 4k detail. In fact ngu sharp can upscale hd to 4k really really well to as a software algorithm.`

What size is your screen and what brand is your tv ?

Depends very much on how big your TV is and how close you sit (and of course, how good your eyesight is!)

But even for people with excellent eyesight, unless your TV is 65" or bigger and/or you only sit 3 or 4 feet away, the reality is you struggle to tell the difference between HD and UHD.

I have a 65" LG OLED and sit abour 8 feet away and I can't honestly say I can see any difference worth paying for. I downloaded a 4k clip and converted it to 1080p and the difference - with that setup - was marginal to say the least.

You ha e to sit closer to the tv to tell the difference or get a bigger screen, that’s why tv screens are getting bigger every year the average size is 50-55 now.

I have read quite a few reviews about this very subject and everyone of them has said that unless you have a large screen, 55" or above you are wasting money and even then you would be hard pushed to see the difference.

Just looking for opinions from anyone who's watching sport in Ultra HD.

Recently got Sky Q, after a recent thread prompted me to call Sky to get a better deal, which I did and Sky Q upgrade.

Sky Q offers some sports in Ultra HD, but I'd need to upgrade TV to watch.

Anyone switched to UHD and impressed, or is it hardly noticeable.

Cheers for any input.

I have a 130inch projector screen and a true 4K projector and cannot tell much of a difference between sky HD and UHD.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.