Watching sport in Ultra HD

I finally upgraded to a Samsung QLED 65” and with the settings tweaked as recommended by one of the tech forums sports look pretty darn good with regular 1080p cable. 4k movies streamed on Amazon and Netflix look flat-out amazing. The problem is the kids hog it to play Xbox and so I end up watching everything on the older Samsungs.

It may have an upscaling setting. This will make the tv cpu take the frames, analyze them and take the input, say 1080p and create a 2160p output to the display. I can explain exactly what it does if it helps get your head around it all, just say and i'll get my essay head on :-D

Until it breaks i doubt you will need to boss. Sony's imaging sensors and scaling algorithms they use in bravia setups are industry leaders. In the general commercial sector you probably can't get better barring some borderline "super high end" stuff which is close to custom and you ain't getting change out of 10k type stuff.

The only TV worth getting above a top end bravia if you love your deep perfect blacks is a second hand kuro but good luck finding one that is legit and in sound condition.

Its a long but detailed review of my set but it shows the tech Sony put into their high end sets even back then and to this day, you get what you pay for and i will never look past a Bravia.

https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm

I finally upgraded to a Samsung QLED 65” and with the settings tweaked as recommended by one of the tech forums sports look pretty darn good with regular 1080p cable. 4k movies streamed on Amazon and Netflix look flat-out amazing. The problem is the kids hog it to play Xbox and so I end up watching everything on the older Samsungs.
Ive just bought an LG OLED,which forum is the best place to look for best settings? Cheers

Ive just bought an LG OLED,which forum is the best place to look for best settings? Cheers
Phenomenal TV. I’m sure you will love it.

I stumbled on a site called RTINGS (rtings.com/tv/reviews) that does a bunch of deep calibrations for all popular makes and models including Samsung and LG. They have some benchmarks that they use and calibrations and setting options they recommend. I don’t know anything about LG TVs because all of mine are Samsung. However, on the Samsung it was important to activate a setting called “HDMI UHD color on” for all HDMI inputs. I don’t know why this was not turned on by default, nor why there are so many modes (standard, game, movie, etc.) but the color really popped when I changed this and increased the backlight. You may want to try out their setting suggestions and see how you think it looks. You can always reset to factory if it doesn’t look right to you.

Have a oled set with uhd on sky, watch you tube vids from NASA in 4k and dynasties on iPlayer in uhd stunning.

To me sky seem to have dumbed it down f1 and football as it used to be awesome, now just doesn't seem the same.

I have no proof obviously.

Thanks for the replies.

I've currently got a Sony Bravia 55" and sit approx 9 feet away, rarely watch films, mainly sport. With both Sky and BT broadcasting UHD for Football, Rugby, Cricket and Golf which all get watched, been considering switching the TV for 4k UHD since getting Sky Q. I might hold off though having seen ITV and the BBC won't broadcast this years Rugby World Cup in UHD.
I went from Sony to a fairly high range Samsung UHD model before the world cup, wasn't a huge difference at all. No regrets as the Sony went to the bedroom which was the original plan but it's not an upgrade you really need to make.

I went from Sony to a fairly high range Samsung UHD model before the world cup, wasn't a huge difference at all. No regrets as the Sony went to the bedroom which was the original plan but it's not an upgrade you really need to make.

It's a bit like upgrading a Jag for a top of the range Merc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.