Water coming into my garage

Unless something has happened to cause the damage, the insurance company will say it's 'wear and tear', and therefore may not pay out on it anyhow.

Thank you for this. Spoke about calling insurance with my wife. I'm having a contractor come around today to see what he says and what the price will be to fix it. If his cost is below my deductable, or not too far off it, I'll skip the insurance call. I'd prefer not to have them increase my rates.
You should check sites like Moneysupermarket every year close to your renewal date as your existing insurers will try it on by bumping last year's "bargain" rate up by 50-60%. Happened to me this year, the insurers quoted 55% increase without any claims, I ended up getting a quote off Moneysupermarket that was even a few quid per month cheaper than my current deal.

Word if warning on that from my experience. Being a useless twat I dont know anything about maintenance and repair issues and so after a leak I had a few years ago I rang the insurance company just to have them come round and check it all out to make sure all was correct and no major damage done. Advice only really, since I pay for them I thought I would use their expertise. Didnt claim a penny, thanked them for their help and thought no more of it until renewal time when I was slammed for my 'attempted claim'. Cheeky fuckers.
Id agree with this man. Even just calling them can count as a claim. Im wary of insurance. Id get a free quote see if its a simple fix first

Just grind out and repoint the mortar. Or if your particularly confident with DIY work grind out and replace the bricks rebuilding that bit of wall. Half a days work and save yourself a fair bit of money.

Don't even call your insurance. Never mind get them out. Just the phone call will count as a virtual claim. They will load your renewal costs and even log it on the insurance data base for other insurers to see. This practice should be illegal. I found out that TSB even logged a virtual claim if you phone to check what is covered on the policy!

This will be a DIY job as long as the cracks in the mortar are not caused by movement in the brickwork. That would need professional attention etc.

All that has happened is the crack have allowed the wind to blow water into the cracks that would have normally have just run down the wall.
As others have said. Make sure the down pipe is fixed. Then remove/grind the old mortar that has cracked. B&Q do a dry mortar mix made by Tarmac that is superb for this type of job. Use a small trowel to completely fill the gaps. If you cannot get the joints to look clean enough after filling, just use a sponge/water to clean up the face of the bricks. If need be, seal hard to reach cracks with a small amount of clear silicone, or use a brick sealer.

Have you tried tapping it with a wand and saying Izzy Wizzy let's get busy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.