Wayne Rooney - how good or bad, bias aside?

If you had asked me a season ago who out of all the players in the world I would have at City, prejudices aside, I'd have said Rooney. I was astonished at how good he was as a kid at Everton and he knows the Premiership inside out so I thought it was a no-brainer.

He's not on my radar anymore though because I can see the cracks forming.

His build is going to be a huge problem for him. He seems to be getting bigger and bigger every season and there's no way in the world he'll be playing when he's the age of Giggs and Scholes because his body just won't let him. He'll be a fair old lump when he's in his 30s even if he's training every day. Once he finishes he'll end up looking like Andy May.

There is a very real possibility he has already peaked. He burst on the scene as a 16 year old in a 24 year old's body and this is why he could bully defenders twice his age with his power and pace, but now he's looking more and more like a 24 year old in a 30 year old's body.

I'm not writing him off because Ferguson will always get the best out of him, but I'm not in awe of him as I used to be. There's better around now.

superwatsonwatson said:
Rooney was substituted in the champions league final against Chelsea after a poor performance. In the final against Barcelona, he showed nothing. For England he had a shocker in the previous Euro Finals, and in the last World cup he failed miserabley. So there have been many occasions for him to really catapult his reputation where it matters but he has'nt. People may be quick to point out what he has won, fair enough, of course he is a good player, but for me he is definately no Alan Shearer.

England didn't qualify...

Excellent Premier League player (said through gritted teeth and with toxic bile rising in my stomach).
But found wanting at every major international tournament he has played at, so it is a simple fact that can't be considered World Class. The repeated excuses don't wash.
The new Norman Whiteside

The Fixer said:
blue_paul said:
I have no problem in calling Rooney a top player, he was outstanding last season. Far better players have played for them though. Scholes, Keane, Robson to name a few.

I'm about to get lynched.

I don't care what anyone says but paul scholes is a fucking awesome footballer even now at 35, he's still a ginger cnut tho ha
He is actually a nice bloke too.
Rooney on his day can be a fantastic player, to me a bit of a throw back to the old days. He can win matches on his own, didn't he do that last season for the rags? However it is very difficult for me anyway to be completely impartial due to all the hype that follows him and his club.
I do not think he has fullfilled the potential he had at Everton for whatever reason and I don't think he is completely focussed on football.
As for Mario being twice the player, i am not sure yet as we haven't seen much of him.

World class, plain and simple.

Loving the people commenting without blue tainted glasses, whilst wearing blue tainted glasses!

I never wish a player an injury but if he was out for a season scum would end up nowhere, with him top 2 and a trophy probably, unfortunately

Thenumber1blue said:
Quite simply and always has been the MOST overrated player in the world!

This - was pretty good for a few months - now (just like the Neville sisters) only in the England team because of who he plays for

World class, no doubt in my mind.

His form has been poor for the last few months but that's probably injury/tiredness.

He's one of only 2 or 3 English players who could be considered world class.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.