ways into journalism.

Start 'reporting' on a sports team from your college/school and put it in the in-house rag.
Apply for Journalism course at Uni. (Salford)
Start a blog
Start a 'contacts' book listing evryone and anyone you meet involved in the field you're interested in.
Smarten up your grammar.

Funnily enough I'm thinking about the same thing, and a lecturer at my Uni recommended I start a Blog to build a portfolio and develop my article structure over time. I actually asked Toma for some advice and feedback and I think the Blog is definitely the way to go.

Good luck with it.

SuperMario's Fireworks. said:
i was just wondering as a student studying english at the minute if anybody knows any ways into journalism for like a part time opening, hoping to do something in the sports side of journalism just to help me progress and hopefully do well as a writer as a result.
Try writing shorter sentences? If you're aiming for the tabloids, three or four words per sentence should do.

What's with the lower case letters for 'I' and 'English'? Are you already a lazy journalist?!

Hi Folks,

i was just wondering as a student studying english at the minute if anybody knows any ways into journalism for like a part time opening, hoping to do something in the sports side of journalism just to help me progress and hopefully do well as a writer as a result.

If you're sending similar requests elsewhere bear in mind that the recipient might be looking for an intern or know of an opportunity opening up somewhere.

So don't say that. Say sports journalism is your ultimate goal. Your dream.

Lucky Toma said:
Hi Folks,

If you're sending similar requests elsewhere bear in mind that the recipient might be looking for an intern or know of an opportunity opening up somewhere.

So don't say that. Say sports journalism is your ultimate goal. Your dream.

thanks mate,

Thought I'd responded to this but it didn't submit.

The first thing to do is write, write, write and write.

There's the City outlets, including our very own Bluemoon, KOTK & MCIVTA. Once you've got the hang of churning out stuff (and there's a big difference between a 4-500 word piece and a 4-5,000 word one) then a blog is probably the best way, as a friend's son had his blog noticed by the Daily Mail and did some intern work for them. Sadly he's a rag but there are many City blogs. Two of the best are View From A Blue and Down The Kippax Steps. I'm sure the guys behind those will be glad to help you.

There are also some good general websites that welcome writers, such as Bleacher Report and of course, our very own Lucky Toma's Daisy Cutter. In addition, if you're interested, my nephew is Premier League editor of a big international sports website (FTBPro I think it's called) and he would welcome regular contributions on City particularly or the PL in general. I'm happy to put you in touch with him if you want.

everythingchangesbutblue said:
Hi Folks,

just start writing articles slaggin off city,someone will pick you up eventually.

Was about to say the same thing - Start off by writting utter shite in the paper and constantly lie, and you'll fit right in!

Churchill123 said:
Hi Folks,

just start writing articles slaggin off city,someone will pick you up eventually.

Was about to say the same thing - Start off by writting utter shite in the paper and constantly lie, and you'll fit right in!

Also looking at some of the headlines and articles in the MUEN you don't even need to have a good grasp of English.

Clevers said:
Churchill123 said:

Also looking at some of the headlines and articles in the MUEN you don't even need to have a good grasp of English.

Your right.. in journalism, if your grammar is shit and you can't spell it's deemed as a plus point.. well it seems that way after the amount of articles I've read in various papers that have poor spelling! - Even thick twats like me can manage to get words with more than 5 letters right due to an amazing thing called "spell check"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.