Wembley 99 Play Off final - 20 Year Anniversary

HelloCity

Division Two Play Off Final

Manchester City 2-2 Gillingham - 30th May 1999

Manchester City won 3-1 on penalties.

The Play Off Final represents an era when we were at our lowest but also an era when our support was arguably at its strongest and the Dickov equaliser and celebration remains one of the most memorable and iconic moments in the history of the club. For many this game respresents the resurrection of Manchester City.

Winning that game didn’t just lead to back to back promotions, it meant we agreed to become tenants to the future commonwealth games stadium. Just over a decade later and the land and potential for growth around that stadium meant we caught the eye of a certain Sheikh Mansour. The rest as they say is history.

Where were you?
What did you think at 2-0?
Did you think it was too late at 2-1?
How wild did you celebrate the Dickov equaliser?
Did you think we’d win the shoot out?
Any photos you’d like to share?

7-B3-A6978-18-E6-4735-B493-F1-A5-C1365-EAA.jpg

B25-D9476-EC7-A-4-CBB-9321-038-DD79-DDC65.jpg

830-B70-BA-D45-C-407-B-9097-881921-B56773.jpg

39-ADECA5-603-E-4-BED-9269-8-A2940-E9-F516.jpg

1-ED93-B20-B65-F-4089-80-DB-FCA4-C29-EE99-A.jpg

nicky-weaver.jpg

Last edited:
At 2 nil I thought it was all over and when I say all over I mean all over. I felt like I was watching city lose that big club status, I thought this is what it was like for the big clubs of the past as the game passed them by.

When we turned it around it was amazing and I can honestly say I have never had those dark thoughts again. The only way was up after that, I knew, everyone knew it, and boy were we right!!

I was just to the left of the city bench stinking hangover ran out of fags nicked the water from city's bench and a few kind gentleman saw me through the match with ciggie

2-1 in the bogs 2-2 fucking mental wasn't worried about the pens back to the Wembley hilton and the player's walked in

I went straight from Maximes in Wigan. Was absolutely smashed. No shame in admitting that I prayed at 2-1 down. Fuck knows who I was praying to, but it worked.

Where were you? Wembley

What did you think at 2-0? Fuck this I'm off

Did you think it was too late at 2-1? Having got to the bottom of the stairs I was alerted to the option of starting to drown my sorrows courtesy of an irate blue crashing through a fire door and the sound of broken glass. Had no idea of the extent of the injury time and when Kev scored was sat at the bar with a bottle of Becks and didn't turn round to the screen so yes.

How wildly did you celebrate Dickov's equaliser? From behind me I heard the excitement rising 'go on go on' etc turned round to see the goal and then it was mayhem tables over drink everywhere followed by a surreal moment where it suddenly stopped as everyone had the same thought followed by a mass stampede up the steps.
Did you think we'd win the shoot out? Having got back in unchallenged with a frothy bottle of Becks I thought it was inevitable we would win even when it came to pens.

Any photos you'd like to share? No photos just memories

The stress, the beer and relief all kicked in at 2-2 and had to make a dash for the toilet. Had to fight against wave upon wave of people trying to get back in. Managed to make it before my insides exploded. Think it was at this point the pain kicked as my shins were cut to ribbons celebrating dickovs goal. Remember the journey home on the train seemed to be surrounded by people exhausted and relived a feeling that I would not experience again until the fa cup final v Stoke. Don't you love being a blue

I remember just feeling really fcuking angry when we were 2 down and what i thought a defeat would mean to the club.
Then a few minutes later kissing the guy next to me when Dickov scored.
Pens worried me as their keeper had had a really good game.
Afterwards i just felt exhausted and relieved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.