Wembley 99 Play Off final - 20 Year Anniversary

About to finish "David J. Mooney's "Looks Like Scunny Next Season" (currently on the Joe Royle chapter) it is a great account of the events with a chapter interview for each of the main actors of that momentous occasion. Wish I was there.

Sorry if already posted but did anyone see the SLY docu on that 98/99 season? I couldnt believe it when Goater said the team had to warm up at a local school and mini bus it in cos they were booed if they warmed up on the pitch.What a load of shite,they were spineless until Morrison turned up thats why.

Then the commentator during the Villa v Derby play off quoted it as gospel.Who needs enemies with friends like that.

What a twat for saying that Goater,insult to decent Blues at that time.

It’s entirely true. For the first half of that season ther relationship was so strained between fans and players that Willie Donnaghy wrote a piece in the MEN lambasting the negativity in the stands. It’s one of the reasons we went down through the divisions in the late 90s- players were scared of the home crowd.

Last edited:
They defo did,I just question Goaters motives for a good story at City fans expense.
Shaun Goater is a top lad,he adores City and he has never taken his success for granted.He took plenty of shit from the stands on occasions but his relentless pursuit to prove his quality won most,if not all,over.

That period in our history was incredibly turbulent,unpredictable and toxic,and he is only recalling it as he remembers it.He,IMO,would never intentionally say or do anything to harm our club.

Sorry if already posted but did anyone see the SLY docu on that 98/99 season? I couldnt believe it when Goater said the team had to warm up at a local school and mini bus it in cos they were booed if they warmed up on the pitch.What a load of shite,they were spineless until Morrison turned up thats why.

Then the commentator during the Villa v Derby play off quoted it as gospel.Who needs enemies with friends like that.

What a twat for saying that Goater,insult to decent Blues at that time.

It's well documented as true. Mentioned a few times in "Caught beneath the landslide"

Shaun Goater is a top lad,he adores City and he has never taken his success for granted.He took plenty of shit from the stands on occasions but his relentless pursuit to prove his quality won most,if not all,over

That period in our history was incredibly turbulent,unpredictable and toxic,and he is only recalling it as he remembers it.He,IMO,would never intentionally say or do anything to harm our club.

I hope youre right. Really pissed me off.

We have always had boo boys (Edghill) but to state they were getting booed when they were warming up is an insult to all Blues at that time.No way.

SLY made sure they turned it into fact for all the sofa twats.

My memory of that team was that they were gutless getting pushed about by inferior players until the legend that is Andy Morrison turned up and manned them up.

It's well documented as true. Mentioned a few times in "Caught beneath the landslide"

Sorry not having that they were booed warming up.I was there home and away in those days and although we had boo boys that was when they were playing as until Morrizon arrived they were gutless and couldnt take the pressure.
Thats why they went to the school.

Official club documentary

Don't know why but it brought tears to my eyes, that. I think for the first time I remember what I said to my brother after their second goal had sunk in, about how we have to put up with another season in that 'stinking' division, who we needed to get rid of, probably Goater. We were having a right in-depth conversation but it got cut short, for some reason.

I hope youre right. Really pissed me off.

We have always had boo boys (Edghill) but to state they were getting booed when they were walming up is an insult to all Blues at that time.No way.

SLY made sure they turned it into fact for all the sofa twats.

My memory of that team was that they were gutless getting pushed about by inferior players until the legend that is Andy Morrison turned up and manned them up.

Plenty were telling them they were gutless, mate, and I'm sure that would have included the warm up. It reached a climax in the cup at Halifax which is what prompted Willie to write his piece which included a line "There are some people at this club who are wallowing in negativity". I've heard City players names booed when announced on the tannoy before the game. I'm sure Goater was exaggerating it a bit but the point he made is dead right: the players were kept away from the pitch as long as possible so they didn't pick up the tension/pressure in the crowd.

Plenty were telling them they were gutless, mate, and I'm sure that would have included the warm up. It reached a climax in the cup at Halifax which is what prompted Willie to write his piece which included a line "There are some people at this club who are wallowing in negativity". I've heard City players names booed when announced on the tannoy before the game. I'm sure Goater was exaggerating it a bit but the point he made is dead right: the players were kept away from the pitch as long as possible so they didn't pick up the tension/pressure in the crowd.

Kept away re tension/pressure yes but he did say warming up which is the bit SLY picked up on and I am upset about.

We need all Blues to stick together,will have a word for sure next time I see him. ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.