Wembley 99 Play Off final - 20 Year Anniversary

I was 20 in 99 but looking back I think of myself as being about 15, weird

Just watched Cheesys Vlog on 99 and heard the fella talking about going Nou Camp with United mate then his mate going Wembley with him
Said it was Matt Busbys birthday the night United won then 3 days later when we won it was Joe Mercer’s birthday
Never knew that

Saw Guy Butters at Brighton on title winning day. I was in their hospitality and he was working for Brighton in the hospitality lounge. Had a laugh with him telling him that it would not have been possible without his help

Is he the one who mouths "Oh fack off" at the City fans after his miss? Or was that Adrian Pennock?

I'd never have heard of these players if I hadn't watched the game/highlights about a thousand times in my life.

Is he the one who mouths "Oh fack off" at the City fans after his miss? Or was that Adrian Pennock?

I'd never have heard of these players if I hadn't watched the game/highlights about a thousand times in my life.

The "fack off" guy was Pennock. He was the one who missed the target by a mile rather than having his kick saved.

Just watched Cheesys Vlog on 99 and heard the fella talking about going Nou Camp with United mate then his mate going Wembley with him
Said it was Matt Busbys birthday the night United won then 3 days later when we won it was Joe Mercer’s birthday
Never knew that

Sir Joe’s birthday is 9th August. It’s also the date he died on; his 76th birthday.

Never knew that
Pretty sure Joe Mercer was born in August and died on his birthday

Some great memories on this thread and brings back a lot of the emotions of the day. I have always tried not to think too much about it because it was such a mixture of horror and joy. But it is as much part of our history as the treble is today. I hated everything about the day itself mainly because I was hungover to shite with a dodgy ankle after falling off one of them lions in Trafalgar Square. Had forgotten about singing 'You can stick your fckin treble up yer arse' but did so hanging on the gates of Downing Street. As for the game, never been more pissed off when Horlock scored. Another nail for the 'typical City' coffin. I didn't leave mind and the rest truly was history!

What a day. I was 16, we lost a cup final that day and we all went to a pub after as we had a lot of blues in the team. Got to 2.0 and my dad told me we were going. We listened to the last 5 in the radio and as we made it 2.2 I punched the air and looked at my dad. Eyes on the road the only thing he said was “we’d better not fuck this up now”.

Got home in time watch the pens at my mates house.

We’ll never really know what the impact of that day was but I’m happy to believe the fact we wouldn’t be where we are today if it wasn’t for those players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.